Product Design Forums

Treasurebox
Sign in to follow this  
Guest dzine

Ul 1st Year Product Design Sketches

Guest dzine

To begin with, here is a concept for my personal designer's tag (dzine.)post-41041-1291206872.jpg

Also, here is my attempt at a rendering of a concept hairdryer- its not my design just my attempt at sketching it!post-41041-1291206897.jpg

post-41041-1291207002.jpg

Guest James.iD

Hi dzine

I think you could really benefit from taking a step back from rendering and focus on the fundamentals of sketching, more importantly your own ideas. I think that by copying a render in this way, you don't really gain any skills apart from getting a feel of the marker pen.

I think that a more important skill is to communicate whats in your head onto paper - sketch quality is irrelevant, it just has to be adequate for the situation, amongst designers the most rudimentary drawing should communicate what you want.

The 'flashy' sketches will come later when you have to present them to your stakeholders (the people who will fund the project) to create excitement but even now CAD renders and rapid prototypes replace this need.

I guess what I'm trying to say is pretty renderings have their place but your ideas are more important. As a designer, your ideas represent your value not your drawing ability, but it is a skill that should improve as you progress.

Anyway, good luck you're only in your 1st year, you will learn a lot!

Guest dzine
Hi dzine

I think you could really benefit from taking a step back from rendering and focus on the fundamentals of sketching, more importantly your own ideas. I think that by copying a render in this way, you don't really gain any skills apart from getting a feel of the marker pen.

I think that a more important skill is to communicate whats in your head onto paper - sketch quality is irrelevant, it just has to be adequate for the situation, amongst designers the most rudimentary drawing should communicate what you want.

The 'flashy' sketches will come later when you have to present them to your stakeholders (the people who will fund the project) to create excitement but even now CAD renders and rapid prototypes replace this need.

I guess what I'm trying to say is pretty renderings have their place but your ideas are more important. As a designer, your ideas represent your value not your drawing ability, but it is a skill that should improve as you progress.

Anyway, good luck you're only in your 1st year, you will learn a lot!

Never thought of it that way! I have a good lot of my own ideas and sketches so will work on putting those up, thanks a million!