Product Design Forums

Treasurebox
Sign in to follow this  
Guest Dastardly_Dave

Product Shots

Guest Dastardly_Dave

Hi guys just uploading one of my Product shots I use for presentation of concepts.

Primarily a beauty shot this would be accompanied by Name/Logo and then a short blurb.

This would make up the main image of intro slide/page in a presentation. Rendered in V-ray modelled in Rhino. Any tips or crits welcome

How do you guys do it?

Post your images here we might get a useful thread going. I'm also interested in how you communicate details/mechanism in 2d format.

Regards

Dave

Hi guys just uploading one of my Product shots I use for presentation of concepts.

Primarily a beauty shot this would be accompanied by Name/Logo and then a short blurb.

This would make up the main image of intro slide/page in a presentation. Rendered in V-ray modelled in Rhino. Any tips or crits welcome

How do you guys do it?

Post your images here we might get a useful thread going. I'm also interested in how you communicate details/mechanism in 2d format.

Regards

Dave

Nice shot. The only suggestion I would make would be to possibly tweak the levels a little bit so your whites are closer to a pure white. Also the red/brown button looks a little muddy/flat, but if thats the actual color then you can't really change that.

Guest Dastardly_Dave

How do you guys do it?

Regards

Dave

Nice shot. The only suggestion I would make would be to possibly tweak the levels a little bit so your whites are closer to a pure white. Also the red/brown button looks a little muddy/flat, but if thats the actual color then you can't really change that.

Thanks for the reply Cyber Demon, any chance you'll post up some of your stuff?? I'd like to see how people are doing things.

The lighting in the scene is slightly misleading as the ground plane and product aren't actually white but very light grey.

I think a neutral white scene would be clearer though especially for colours....though sometimes it can be hard to get that ummph into the scene with a standard white background set up.

Out of interest what software do you use?

Thanks for the reply Cyber Demon, any chance you'll post up some of your stuff?? I'd like to see how people are doing things.

The lighting in the scene is slightly misleading as the ground plane and product aren't actually white but very light grey.

I think a neutral white scene would be clearer though especially for colours....though sometimes it can be hard to get that ummph into the scene with a standard white background set up.

Out of interest what software do you use?

All the renderings I do are for internal use only, so I don't really have anything recent to post. Anything we do externally is either done using photographs of physical product, or renderings handled by external consultancys.

The light gray is OK, and sometimes it helps to do a soft gradient on the background, but it seems like just a little level tweaking in photoshop to punch up the contrast would help. It feels a little flat right now.

I'm using Autodesk showcase for everything these days. Doesn't deliver nearly as nice quality as a dedicated rendering engine, but its 100x faster to get to a rendering that's good enough to get the point across and since it's rendering in real time it's very easy to crank out dozens of angles and material versions in the 15 minutes leading up to a design review. In school I remember leaving a full week for the "rendering" phase to give myself enough time to setup, build all the necessary shaders, and then pump out the actual renderings 8 hours at a time...