- - - - -

My Degree Project 2002

• Please log in to reply
13 replies to this topic

#1 Guest_Waqas_*

Guest_Waqas_*
  • Guests

Posted 16 May 2005 - 02:02 PM

My intention was to design a desk to suit designer's need. But when I presented this at my deggre show, all designers said this desk dont suits their need.

Posted Image

So, I just can say that this is a MP-Desk. It can be used to to sketch, technical drawing & computing works. The black layer is glass, which can be use to do tracing works, while provides smooth surface to do sketch.

#2 waikit

waikit

Founder & Admin

• Admin
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,344 posts
  • At:Philips Design Shanghai

Posted 22 June 2005 - 11:51 PM

My intention was to design a desk to suit designer's need. But when I presented this at my deggre show, all designers said this desk dont suits their need.

so you started to design something that isn't needed at all? does it mean that your users' research was not good enough?

#3 Guest_Waqas_*

Guest_Waqas_*
  • Guests

Posted 21 October 2005 - 02:19 PM

I did some extensive research, even had interviews with few designers.. Maybe it just doesnt good enough.. :D

#4 Guest_Autophobius_*

Guest_Autophobius_*
  • Guests

Posted 21 October 2005 - 07:44 PM

hello :D
interesting desk and sorry to hear it didn't go down so well..
well, with the research, don't be too bumed out .. all research is valid it just depends on how far you took it...
sometimes by just asking questions (taking from experience) isn't good enough...

but i you are planning to develop the design :D
then i would suggest maybe people actually sitting down and using your design.. this way you can get direct feedback from the way they use it and what problems they had.. and then interviews of the product and the use would become very vital and furthering your design...

you are a designer yourself... did it fit all of your needs? :D

#5 Guest_ono_*

Guest_ono_*
  • Guests

Posted 21 October 2005 - 11:48 PM

Nice work, you thought quite a lot about technical issues, the design looks very severe, you could try to make a sweeter version. I mean , when you design for school you don´t have the constrain of a manufacturer putting pressure on how cheap and quick it will be to manufacture, so you could try to push for a slightly more expensive version, which looks more inviting, that can trigger the attention of a manufacturer, and then there will be time to make it cheaper-easier-to-manufacute, but that´s just me.
Do you need those thick pillars to support the light tube?

#6 Guest_Bizzo_*

Guest_Bizzo_*
  • Guests

Posted 22 October 2005 - 12:57 AM

well i think its a nicely researched project/product. it is however extremely hard to design something to be used by fellow designer, designers will always try to find a shortcoming in other designs.

good luck!

bizzo

#7 Guest_Marra_*

Guest_Marra_*
  • Guests

Posted 24 October 2005 - 09:45 PM

How did you present your ideas?

If I was presented with that I wouldnt simply want to work there, but its a lot to do with the actual rendering of the models I think.

The design looks a little oppressive, almost reminds me of textiles machines in a way.

#8 parel

parel

Top Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,087 posts
  • At:Concept Center International

Posted 25 October 2005 - 03:48 AM

Good place to start Waqas. Could you tell us some of your logic? It might be a good idea that needs more help in the execution. Like Marra said, the initial impression, is one of heaviness. Maybe you could start punching holes into some of the components, so that it seems less like a drafting table. The table does not seem to have space for your legs. Is the central giant glass a giant Cintiq screen? How does it accomodate the latest design tols like laptops, tablets and projectors? Does it accomodate old-school markers and pastel. (perhaps two flavors of desks?) Do all the parts have to be clunked in one heavy assembly. Can it be a combination of light modular components?

:) It looks like you were learning the software and designing as you went along. That is cool. Now I would sit down and do some paper sketches, to create some ideas of where to go from this concept. You have spent a lot of time getting it so far, you should spend a little more effort to take it to the professional level.

Post some more sketches and concepts. It will be great to see how you improve the design

Edit:
Hmmm- I just saw your website. What gives? Obviously you have some kickin models and know your software. So I would say improve the design on paper, or post rough concepts.

#9 Guest_SPUDS_*

Guest_SPUDS_*
  • Guests

Posted 04 November 2005 - 11:53 PM

Waqas....Don't be disheartened by your fellow designers criticism, they may have a point, but i personally think you have a good aesthetic going here. Design is always full of ups and downs, rearrangements and alterations, but - you should continue this easel 'look' with proper human behavioural research to finalise your idea.

I, at present, can imagine from your initial concept a modern workspace that welcomes elder designers and gives young designers the felling of importance they need and a unique difference to all other computer related professions, by using aesthetics of yesteryear!........I think your on to something here, keep on going!

Maybe you should have presented this workstation as an emotional need for designers - instead of a suiting designers needs.......to me its much more style and emotional based then being presented as funtional.

Nice to see your work !

#10 Guest_SPUDS_*

Guest_SPUDS_*
  • Guests

Posted 05 November 2005 - 12:06 AM

Nice work, you thought quite a lot about technical issues, the design looks very severe, you could try to make a sweeter version. I mean , when you design for school you don´t have the constrain of a manufacturer putting pressure on how cheap and quick it will be to manufacture, so you could try to push for a slightly more expensive version, which looks more inviting, that can trigger the attention of a manufacturer, and then there will be time to make it cheaper-easier-to-manufacute, but that´s just me.
Do you need those thick pillars to support the light tube?

I think the thick pillars gives the user a sence of personal space and privacy

#11 Guest_yip_*

Guest_yip_*
  • Guests

Posted 30 January 2006 - 04:59 PM

halo Waqas....

I like it.. honestly.. this table reminds me back in High school when we use to learn how to do technical drawings. great stuff for high school students. The light works great. Fluro lights are good for writing and reading. good for eyes.

Probably what you have really missed out what does pro designers need for a working station.

I'm sure every person have there own way or style when they're working. Some like to working on a tilted table. Some like to work flat.. Did you manage to have focus group? did you do any testing?

Maybe for your next R&D, maybe the table can have re-arrangment to user needs. Have some good storage space, pin up walls for images. "something interchangable".. These are some of my suggestions which might do you some help.

Anyway, its good work.

Steve.

#12 Guest_linstow_*

Guest_linstow_*
  • Guests

Posted 22 June 2006 - 02:21 PM

Posted Image

So, I just can say that this is a MP-Desk. It can be used to to sketch, technical drawing & computing works. The black layer is glass, which can be use to do tracing works, while provides smooth surface to do sketch.

nice desing would be i deal for use in class rooms for design and grpahichs student an other thing that you cuold do in sted of haveing glass use clear plastic

#13 Guest_Mark Kinsley_*

Guest_Mark Kinsley_*
  • Guests

Posted 03 July 2006 - 12:27 AM

I like the "light bar". I like seeing the light integrated into the top support instead of a secondary arm or hanging light being used.

#14 Guest_key_*

Guest_key_*
  • Guests

Posted 07 July 2006 - 09:59 AM

Maybe you need to be more specific on who the user is. I think for achitects it will be very usefull, but to others probably not so much. Maybe you were trying to tacktle too big a user group. No laptop/computer area?

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

Sponsors:
Android Tablet
Designer Store