Product Design Forums

Treasurebox
Sign in to follow this  
Guest Gameface

Bottle Engraving

Guest Gameface

Quick Question, been trying to place some engraving on the bottom end of a bottle (bottle face is tapered), I used the wrap tool but it resulted in the engraving been slanted at the end as opposed to vertial, see attached image.

post-40243-1289559957.jpg

Guest Ceri

It doesn't look to bad to me, it makes sense that the text will follow the shape of the surface that you are applying to. The other option is to offset a plane from the surface and then extrude down on to it but this will resulting different heights for letters as the bottle surface curves away.

I don't suppose your company do baked on designs with ceramic inks?

Looks good to me.. as Ceri said- makes sense for it to follow the contour of the surface.

I've never used wrap for text-

Normally I would make a plane nominal to the surface for the text then offset a surface of the bottle the depth of the engraving, extrude text and cut with surface, combine text with bottle. There's more than one way to skin a cat..

G'luck

ronnie

Guest Shift1313
Quick Question, been trying to place some engraving on the bottom end of a bottle (bottle face is tapered), I used the wrap tool but it resulted in the engraving been slanted at the end as opposed to vertial, see attached image.

What is your end goal with the bottle? Things need to be taken into consideration for manufacture. If the bottle will be blow molded, injection etc.

if you have a plane with your text on it you can use Extrude if you do not wish your text to wrap around the bottle. In the Start drop down box choose surface. For Direction1 you will choose Offset From surface. There are some options in this that allow you to adjust for an offset surface.

I agree with ronnie. Try out his recommendations. Good luck.

-----------------------------------------------

LIMAC CNC Router, CNC Laser, cnc plasma cutting solutions

Tianjin LIMAC Technology Co., Ltd.

www.lima.cc

post-50350-0-82107700-1301731319.jpg