Product Design Forums

Treasurebox
Sign in to follow this  
Guest Prodigee

My Best Drawings

Guest Prodigee

I have had a change in heart being a first year college student... I want to be an industrial designer. I have never taken an art class and have been ingnorant to the importance of art. Well now I have had a revelation... and I am determined to become something great. I am now sketching everyday trying to get good.. Here are two drawings I have churned out... I have to this day never taken an art class.... Opinions are welcome and appreciated.

post-40555-1289359676.jpg

post-40555-1289359714.jpg

Howdy-

I think your sketches show you naturally have an ability to draw- which is a great starting point and something that can be improved on. What are you currently studying at college?

If you are practicing everyday to draw and have aspirations of being an industrial designer- I would recommend drawing everyday products from around your home. Products, or structural packaging, draw them accurately and look closely at understanding the forms and the thinking behind them. TV remote- milk bottle, mobile phone, hairdryer, knife, egg carton etc.. anything.

However, it's not just about having the ability to draw- that's just a helpful skill to help you communicate and get down your ideas-so if you're seriously considering this as a change... more importantly - start designing! I'm sure there are some previous or current design challenges on this forum that you could have a go at!

I know plenty of good designers- who aren't exactly great at sketching!

G'luck!

ronnie

Guest Prodigee
Howdy-

I think your sketches show you naturally have an ability to draw- which is a great starting point and something that can be improved on. What are you currently studying at college?

If you are practicing everyday to draw and have aspirations of being an industrial designer- I would recommend drawing everyday products from around your home. Products, or structural packaging, draw them accurately and look closely at understanding the forms and the thinking behind them. TV remote- milk bottle, mobile phone, hairdryer, knife, egg carton etc.. anything.

However, it's not just about having the ability to draw- that's just a helpful skill to help you communicate and get down your ideas-so if you're seriously considering this as a change... more importantly - start designing! I'm sure there are some previous or current design challenges on this forum that you could have a go at!

I know plenty of good designers- who aren't exactly great at sketching!

G'luck!

ronnie

Thanks Ronnie, currently my intended major is Business. I have many other sketches, inventions, and drawings of household products that aren't very good. Id say those are my best drawings. But I am definately going to take your advice... understanding the forms and thinking behind the designs of everyday household products is crucial. I appreciate your reply, thanks again.