Product Design Forums

Treasurebox
Sign in to follow this  
Guest grundstrom

Razor

Guest grundstrom

Hello!

I´d like to get some feedback regarding a razor made in Alias.

What do you think about the lights? I made a spotlight pointing at "the left backside", just to make a small highlight at the ends. I'm not completely satisfied with these highlights so I'd like some tips there.

I wanted the red to be a glossy, plastic material with a little structure. When I used regular lights it just looked too dull, so I made an IBL render. My problem with the IBL is that the reflections seems good in the upper part of the razor but a little unrealistic in the lower part. So, is it possible making the IBL "gradient" in Alias?

It's rendered and modelled in Alias, I just made some finishing of the shadows in Photoshop.

post-40431-1288384757.jpg

If you are looking for a studio setup, consider using a different IBL map. They have a bunch of free studio HDR's out there if you look hard enough and those are meant to simulate more realistic photo setups.

You can make your environment a gradient but it won't give you the effect you're really looking for.

Also consider using some big plane surfaces in the background with a white to black or white to transparent. Carefully positioned, that will give you a nice soft white highlight the ends in a crisp edge.