Product Design Forums

Treasurebox
Sign in to follow this  
vahid

How Do You Make A Product Look More Expensive?

Hi all,

I was wondering what are the ways to make a product look more expensive or high value without adding much cost to it? An example might be to change to finish from gloss to matte or vice versa.

any thoughts, ideas or comments?

Hi all,

I was wondering what are the ways to make a product look more expensive or high value without adding much cost to it? An example might be to change to finish from gloss to matte or vice versa.

any thoughts, ideas or comments?

I was going to say textures when I read the title. You can also play with texture breakups, combine rough and glossy.

Color and material breakups if possible. For example you could use red stitches on black fabric instead of black on black.

Invert materials - for example leather can be outside and inside - by having the same material you get 2 different colors/finishes.

Although the best way is clever refined form to start with - it doesn't have to cost more to manufacture than ugly unrefined shape, even less.

If you already have a product your last resort could be new packaging or labeling.

i like the color and material breakup idea. But what about products that are produced in low quantity and made of sheet metal. for example products used in industries and niche segments (like oscillometers or other test equipment). although aesthetics is not the selling point in these products it can be a key differentiator if other features in competitor products are alike.

i like the color and material breakup idea. But what about products that are produced in low quantity and made of sheet metal. for example products used in industries and niche segments (like oscillometers or other test equipment). although aesthetics is not the selling point in these products it can be a key differentiator if other features in competitor products are alike.

I think elegant form is the way to go for sheet metal. Check out some hi-end kitchen equipment and bathroom products. Usually they're very simple but can cost a ridiculous amount.

Maybe select some better looking screws if they're visible, like torx instead of philips. Black instead of silver.

Perfect the fit of parts. For example screws - deboss holes to make it look like the screws are meant to be there, and not an afterthought.

If you have operations like sandblasting, see if you can work something else into that process, like a blasted frame around UI panel. Or if you have a forged piece that needs to be grinded, add something like embossed logo that can be grinded down to shininess in the process.

Or perhaps you could stamp some pattern in your sheet metal part in the same step as you stamp the part.

Colorcoded knobs if plastic - same tooling, different color material.

So I guess the consensus is - look into the steps that are necessary to manufacture all your parts, and think about what can be done at the same time to affect aesthetics and/or ergonomics.

There are a lot of things even on stamped sheet metal parts that can be done to add the perception of quality. Details can be embossed, graphics can be laser etched rather than printed, there are a number of different finishes that can be put into the steel itself.

Nice feeling knobs with good differentiation, overmolded grip features, etc.

Laser cut details like speaker perforation patterns, etc. Brushed vs polished vs painted vs powdercoated finishes.

Overall CMF - find what color all the competitors use and find something else to differentiate your product visually.

Take a look at the medical industry. Most medical products are boxes with some gauges and wires sticking out, but there is a lot of nice ID work happening in the industry to make the devices look more friendly, professional, ergonomic, etc.

these are some really good ideas and insights that you'll have provided.

@cyberdemon whats is CMF?

Color Materials Finish. Most large design organizations such as car companies, cell phone companies will have entire groups dedicated to those 3 areas. It's the reason expensive plastic cell phones with elaborate in mold textures, metallic finishes, and soft touch paints feel so much more high end than a cheap phone that might just be all flat molded plastic. Look at car interiors, phones, and other similar products to see where different use of materials can really enhance the experience.

these are some really good ideas and insights that you'll have provided.

@cyberdemon whats is CMF?

Color Materials Finish. Most large design organizations such as car companies, cell phone companies will have entire groups dedicated to those 3 areas. It's the reason expensive plastic cell phones with elaborate in mold textures, metallic finishes, and soft touch paints feel so much more high end than a cheap phone that might just be all flat molded plastic. Look at car interiors, phones, and other similar products to see where different use of materials can really enhance the experience.

oh. ok, I had seen the Discovery Channel program Birt of a sports car, In that also the BMW team was checking the look and mood conveyed of various colors under different lighting conditions.

I agree with Cybe, it is fit and finish, material texture and colouring. Also consider machined surfaces versus moulded. Consider torsional rigidity of a product, any product whether it be a phone or a dvd player must not squeak or rattle once applied to torsional pressure. Expensive products tend not to fake neither wood nor metal, they are rather made of those materials. A good looking product will employ a hi -quality plastic that looks like plastic instead of fake wood or fake metal veneer. A good product is characterized by precise casts, narrow gaps between panels(a nightmare for US manufacturers), solid design, wobble free buttons,etc. To save money flat/matte black plastic can be applied, but the surface texture and level of matte must be considerd carefully, I have noticed that this has also been a major issue for US companies, while japanese have usually excelled at this. Also painted design elements can be added, usually of fine lines, that shouldn`t be too costly.Such products as car audio or shelf systems can look more expensive by adding more buttons( precisely cast) instead of unifying features. Make the product look handcrafted. Sony designs some of their decks so that they look similar to handcrafted Wadia, Rotel , Mark& Levinson, etc. Well, that is my 5 cents.