Product Design Forums

Treasurebox
Sign in to follow this  
Guest geddhedd

Graduate Portfolio Gerard Martin

Guest geddhedd

Hi people,

I have just graduated from Manchester Metropolitan University in BSC Product Design and wondered whether you would be kind enough to give me your opinions on my newly finished portfolio.

You can download it by going to http://www.filedropper.com/gedmartinportfolio

Any opinions, tips and advice would be much appreciated,

Cheers

Ged

Hi people,

I have just graduated from Manchester Metropolitan University in BSC Product Design and wondered whether you would be kind enough to give me your opinions on my newly finished portfolio.

You can download it by going to http://www.filedropper.com/gedmartinportfolio

Any opinions, tips and advice would be much appreciated,

Cheers

Ged

Hey mate you have some nice content in your portfolio, and looks like you have a good knowledge of materials and electronics which is a great skill to have as a designer, the only thing I would say is be careful of your renders looking a little too 'plasticy' I cant really make out what the materials are supposed to be as they all seem to have the same finish but in different colours.

Otherwise great work mate, keep it up

Kieron-Scott

Guest ID2010

Nice portfolio, in terms of project complexity (good to see the exploded views etc and material selection), however, i agree with the previous statement, i think your renders are killing your work. The models themselves are good, but the final renders look like they came from engineering design, not industrial design. If you put your models into a decent renderer like Keyshot 2 put some nice lighting on it and some realistic materials and hit render it would really give your portfolio some flashy visuals to support your detail work. You have good content, it just needs to be more flashy in my opinion because when a company sifts through tonnes of portfolios a day you need something to catch their eye so that they will then go on and look at your detail work.

good luck man :)

Guest geddhedd

Hey cheers for the feedback guys, I had never noticed this ‘plasticy’ look before but since you have pointed it out I can see exactly what you mean. I have just downloaded keyshot 2 and there is already a noticeable difference in terms of quality and the ability to distinguish between different materials and textures, I reckon with a bit of practice could definitely achieve those flashy visuals.

So thanks a lot guys great help :)

@Kieran: have just checked out your portfolio on Coroflot really good stuff man!

Ged

Hey cheers for the feedback guys, I had never noticed this ‘plasticy’ look before but since you have pointed it out I can see exactly what you mean. I have just downloaded keyshot 2 and there is already a noticeable difference in terms of quality and the ability to distinguish between different materials and textures, I reckon with a bit of practice could definitely achieve those flashy visuals.

So thanks a lot guys great help :)

@Kieran: have just checked out your portfolio on Coroflot really good stuff man!

Ged

Hey Ged,

Ah great Keyshot 2 is a great program and i would def recommend giving it a try as your CAD skills seem advanced and this will really give them the oomph they deserve, cant wait to see your new renders and results, be sure to post them when they are done. thanks for checking out my portfolio on Coroflot glad you liked it mate. i have more on my site kieron-scott.com/portfolio including some of my recent freelance work, let me know what you think.

KS