Product Design Forums

Treasurebox
Sign in to follow this  
cash68

Nyc, London, West Coast, Hong Kong, Where To Go?

Hey all. I've had good success in my career so far (graduated in 09 ugh), I've worked at quite a few major companies, and now I'm happily employed at a consultancy. I also have a freelance business that is currently shuttered due to full time employment, but I'm not happy. I've had a lot of personal losses over the past few years, and I think just leaving everything behind would help me out both personally, as well as professionally. Leaving the place you grew up allows you to distance yourself from memories, as well as reinvent yourself. Also, other locales (not Wisconsin) are much more competitive, allowing me to up my game based on the experience and skills of others.

Right now, I'm thinking about working for another year in my current location, but I hate it here. I want to move, but I think I need a direction, not just "away". Which major area do you think would be the one to shoot for? Why? NYC looks impressive on any resume, and the culture there is fantastic. The west coast also seems great, but too crowded? What about London or Hong Kong? I'm up for anything, I just need a plan.

Also, I was thinking london would be the most beneficial. If I could fake a british accent I'd be set for life. Designer + accent= win at everything.

Depends on what you want your career and your life to be, what kind of person you are. You should visit some of those places and see if you really want to spend several years there, basically starting a new life all by yourself.

Having said that - It sounds like what you're really looking for is a change of lifestyle, an adventure. Out of those places you mention I would go for Hong Kong. Obviously the most challenging move, but may be the most rewarding spiritually.

And I would think in a couple of years - in fact now already - Hong Kong or Shanghai looks more impressive on a resume than NYC or LDN. Focus on who you will want to impress - art school romantics and MoMa types, or a VP of a global company that wants to produce products for a rapidly growing market?

Have you considered Japan, Singapore or even India?

Why would you want to distance yourself from memories (unless they are bad ones of people you don't like)? IMHO memories are what make you who you are.