Product Design Forums

Treasurebox
Sign in to follow this  
Guest Shift1313

Air Powered Motorcycle

Guest Shift1313

A project I did last year in inventor. Its about 1000parts in all down to bearings, hoses, wires etc.

post-40067-1286469918.jpg

post-40067-1286469933.jpg

post-40067-1286469965.jpg

post-40067-1286469970.jpg

post-40067-1286469974.jpg

post-40067-1286469978.jpg

post-40067-1286469982.jpg

post-40067-1286469986.jpg

post-40067-1286469990.jpg

Guest frindtc
A project I did last year in inventor. Its about 1000parts in all down to bearings, hoses, wires etc.

Great detail;)

Nice Renderings

That's pretty cool. What was the data used for? Was any of it manufactured? Did you design and engineer any of it, follow some drawings, or picked apart a bike for reference?

For renderings' sake you should watch out with texture mapping for textured materials such as carbon fiber. Try switching to cylindrical or spherical mapping to avoid those irregular texture breaks.

Guest Shift1313
That's pretty cool. What was the data used for? Was any of it manufactured? Did you design and engineer any of it, follow some drawings, or picked apart a bike for reference?

For renderings' sake you should watch out with texture mapping for textured materials such as carbon fiber. Try switching to cylindrical or spherical mapping to avoid those irregular texture breaks.

I designed everything to be realistic in the hopes of producing but the efficiency of the motor is terrible. I worked on different designs but havent taken it any farther. Partially because I designed it around some technology that doesnt exist yet:) There werent any high speed solenoid valves in the manner i designed it so there would be no accurate real world version. I took a good bit of time in the concept stage before modeling. The suspension design and swingarm concentric with the front sprocket were planned out as well as a specific rake/trail and overall weight of the bike. It came in around 250lbs :)

As far as the rendering, i dont do much rendering in Inventor but I played around with the CF texture a lot and i thought i got it to what i felt was realistic. Here is an earlier version of the tank and another CF layout in SW

AirbikeTankRender6.jpg

Here is the suspension layout.

th_Video.jpg

This bike actually went through nearly a dozen changes from body work, Girder front end and different layouts.

post-40067-1286500369.jpg

Very Cool and it looks great! I like how much though and development you put into this.

The problem with air powered vehicles though is that they are very inefficient. I've read somewhere that the weight and energy density of compressed air is roughly equivalent to lead acid batteries, however unlike batteries you could refill in matter of minutes instead of hours, so maybe there is still something going for this idea.

I don't see why you should have any problems with the motor though, here's a company that already has a working air powered car. http://www.mdi.lu/english/index.php

Guest Shift1313
Very Cool and it looks great! I like how much though and development you put into this.

The problem with air powered vehicles though is that they are very inefficient. I've read somewhere that the weight and energy density of compressed air is roughly equivalent to lead acid batteries, however unlike batteries you could refill in matter of minutes instead of hours, so maybe there is still something going for this idea.

I don't see why you should have any problems with the motor though, here's a company that already has a working air powered car. http://www.mdi.lu/english/index.php

vander, i used a linear piston engine rather than a rotary. It provided high torque but makes the air deplete very fast. There are gains and losses with each type of engine. The thing i was pushing with this design was a very reduced rotating assembly. No transmission, no valves, minimal oil bath and no oil pump. Also the use of electronic valves but they would need to be 48v in order to operate fast enough. Ive done some thinking on a combination rotary/piston engine but i still think its efficiency is too low. I agree that air is not the best but like you said its easily renewable. If we used things like Wind Generators that are already in operation to compress air, solar compressor stations etc it may become better. The idea for this was to have an on board electric engine that would run the motor in reverse once hooked up to a 120v wall socket and compress the air while the vehicle was parked during the day or over night. The problem is that i would need to have multiple stages etc. Ive done a lot of thinking on the project but without funding im afraid it will remain theoretical at best. One day though :)

Guest yash_techcre

hi! really great man simply awesum design... im a desing student in my initial year. Can you please tell me how do you go about a project ike this? I want to know your steps to begin with such a big project.

thank you

Guest Shift1313
hi! really great man simply awesum design... im a desing student in my initial year. Can you please tell me how do you go about a project ike this? I want to know your steps to begin with such a big project.

thank you

Yash I started by modeling the engine. Since the engine was much smaller than a standard motorcycle engine and i mounted its output concentric to the swing arm pivot i needed to have it done before anything else could happen. From there i laid out the wheelbase I wanted and the rough geometry like rake/trail and swing arm angle numbers. Then i played with different sized air tanks for locations. I ended up with 80cu ft spread over 4 tanks. 80cu ft is the standard scuba tank but i ended up with two pony bottles(13 cuft) on top and two larger bottles(27cu ft) in the main part of the frame. My first design had two low mounted 80 cuft tanks but i didnt want the weight too low and i couldnt protect the tanks. I kept them mounted with the design intent to protect them with the frame. I went through a few different front ends(girder), different swing arms and several different bodies before settling on the one you see. I did a few hand sketches over some printed drawings of the frame/wheels to try and rough out lines. I uploaded a few earlier photos/revisions.

it's clear that the work is done intelligently

post-40067-1291216416.jpg

post-40067-1291216441.jpg

post-40067-1291216501.jpg

post-40067-1291216541.jpg