Product Design Forums

Treasurebox
Guest Shift1313

Solidworks Car Renders

Guest mart2010uk

Nice!! I really need to get better with solidworks but uni make us use Maya .. but i have sw10 :)

Guest Shift1313
Nice work! How long did the camaro take you?

I didnt keep exact track of it. I was writing a tutorial while modeling and the majority of the body with writing as i modeled took about 15hrs. Probably another 5 in detail work. This past week i designed a car from scratch and that took me about 18hrs.

post-40067-1291215786.jpg

Guest Shift1313

I guess while im posting ill put some shots of the car i was working on before i started the scratch made supercar:) After i finish the details on my car ill go back and finish the veyron.

Bugatti Veyron.

post-40067-1291217393.jpg

post-40067-1291217420.jpg

post-40067-1291217424.jpg

post-40067-1291217429.jpg

post-40067-1291217434.jpg

Guest theflyingdutchman

Wow this looks rely complex to make! We just started with SW 10 in our 2nd year of product design. We used to use 3DS Max but I think SW is sooo much better!

Would love to learn how to make car models! For now I will stick to the basics.

Guest Arturo Arino
Some more renders, almost final but not quite yet.

Nice 3d models !!

You are very good at modeling but...

you have to learn Mental Ray !!!

the difference between nice ! and is this real ??? is just learning how to render in Mental Ray or V ray... I personally like mental ray , try to export the surfaces to maya and get this thing going with mental ray trust me!

I'll send you a render in mental ray so you can compare ... both are good, but I think mental ray is like the next step

post-26435-1292781645.jpg

Guest Shift1313
Some more renders, almost final but not quite yet.

Nice 3d models !!

You are very good at modeling but...

you have to learn Mental Ray !!!

the difference between nice ! and is this real ??? is just learning how to render in Mental Ray or V ray... I personally like mental ray , try to export the surfaces to maya and get this thing going with mental ray trust me!

I'll send you a render in mental ray so you can compare ... both are good, but I think mental ray is like the next step

I have seen your work arturo and it is great(both models and renders!). Most of the renders i've posted were lower quality based on time(render times between 2-5mins) that i use to setup colors and views. The last couple red ones were in the 20min render time frame i think. Its very rare that I will actually do high quality renders because i don't use them for anything. And since some of these are for SW they are SW modeled and rendered for that reason. I would love to get into some really powerful rendering software. Here are some of the finals i did. Even these werent rendered at max quality(see tessellations in the wheel well) because of time. SW2011 has made a few more changes to PV360 and if their jump from 09-10 is any indication of the changes i can't wait to try it(sitting here on my desk). mental ray is my next step though :)

SCfrontclose.png

SCFront.png

SCfrontside.png

post-40067-1292812295.jpg

Guest Arturo Arino

Yes Matt !

I really know what you're talking about ... I use Alias Studio tools for modeling (some times, some times Maya is better) but for production quality I think Studio tools and solid works are the best.

One of the things I love about Mental Ray is that if you use it correctly with all the reflections and refractions needed the rendering wouldn't be longer than 10-15 minutes maximum. and the quality is awesome.

I like a lot the design and the 3/4 view, I believe is the 3rd image you upload it is very good ! but your rendering engine is not calculating that the floor is white and it is not reflecting it correctly in the car and tires, that is what makes your renders not too realistic.

this page has helped me a lot http://cg.tutsplus.com/?s=mental+ray

May be you should give it a try, invest all that time that your renderings take in learning some of this and maybe you'll get better renderings .

if you want you can send me something exported in .OBJ , like the wheels maybe and I try just to see if I can render it and Ill tell you how much does it take

Guest Shift1313
Yes Matt !

I really know what you're talking about ... I use Alias Studio tools for modeling (some times, some times Maya is better) but for production quality I think Studio tools and solid works are the best.

One of the things I love about Mental Ray is that if you use it correctly with all the reflections and refractions needed the rendering wouldn't be longer than 10-15 minutes maximum. and the quality is awesome.

I like a lot the design and the 3/4 view, I believe is the 3rd image you upload it is very good ! but your rendering engine is not calculating that the floor is white and it is not reflecting it correctly in the car and tires, that is what makes your renders not too realistic.

this page has helped me a lot http://cg.tutsplus.com/?s=mental+ray

May be you should give it a try, invest all that time that your renderings take in learning some of this and maybe you'll get better renderings .

if you want you can send me something exported in .OBJ , like the wheels maybe and I try just to see if I can render it and Ill tell you how much does it take

The environment wasnt white in those images:) those were png files where the object and shadow were kept but the background was stripped out. Here is one of the original jpeg files.

SC7.JPG

SC1.JPG

ill put together something to send you in the next few days cause i would love to see it. I know those programs(and others) offer trials and i believe some programs use vray( i work for a university so i can get autodesk products). I want to say maya or 3ds had vray. I have just redone my license for alias auto and would like to get back into learning that (when i have the time:)).

Guest Shift1313

Here is an audi R8 rim i drew in inventor a few years back. Its an iges file so hopefully you can work with it. if not let me know. I dont have .obj as an option. Id like to see what you do with it.

R8Rim.zip