Product Design Forums

Treasurebox
Sign in to follow this  
Guest Shift1313

2010 Camaro In Solidworks

Guest Shift1313

Hey guys, this is my first post here and I was directed here by another users. Ive drawn(still in progress) a 2010 camaro and while modeling the body made some "notes". Its not a well laid out tutorial per say but I plan on taking what I have written down into another format when I have the time. Its 400 pictures and 20000 words so it takes a bit of time! In the mean time I have a pdf i managed to compress down to 6.5mb which is still a bit large to upload here. Is it alright to link this info from other sites or is there a way to upload this document here for users to look at? Let me also say that I am still learning. This is my 3rd car in SW and 4th car in Cad but I felt there was a serious lack of free tutorials for this type of thing so I had a go at making some notes while modeling.

Any rate ive uploaded a few renders in its current state which still needs some more detail work done on the lights and things but its nearly complete.

post-40067-1286141280.jpg

post-40067-1286141287.jpg

post-40067-1286141295.jpg

post-40067-1286141329.jpg

post-40067-1286141357.jpg

post-40067-1286141362.jpg

Guest Shift1313
Hey guys, this is my first post here and I was directed here by another users. Ive drawn(still in progress) a 2010 camaro and while modeling the body made some "notes". Its not a well laid out tutorial per say but I plan on taking what I have written down into another format when I have the time. Its 400 pictures and 20000 words so it takes a bit of time! In the mean time I have a pdf i managed to compress down to 6.5mb which is still a bit large to upload here. Is it alright to link this info from other sites or is there a way to upload this document here for users to look at? Let me also say that I am still learning. This is my 3rd car in SW and 4th car in Cad but I felt there was a serious lack of free tutorials for this type of thing so I had a go at making some notes while modeling.

Any rate ive uploaded a few renders in its current state which still needs some more detail work done on the lights and things but its nearly complete.

Well here is a link to one place ive uploaded it. Its the SW users forum. I would prefer to upload the info here in one of the Pinned threads but until that time you guys can take a look by downloading the pdf and blueprints.

I am working on starting up a free tutorials site in the near future at which time I will edit the document with better info/screen shots, but it is what it is now.

https://forum.solidworks.com/message/182976#182976

Guest wasim.segadi

Amazing work and appreciate your attitude towards sharing of things...quite a few people do this now days especially the effort and painstaking hours taken by you to create this wonderful tutorial...please keep up the good work ahead in the future

ciao

wasim

Guest Shift1313

Amazing work and appreciate your attitude towards sharing of things...quite a few people do this now days especially the effort and painstaking hours taken by you to create this wonderful tutorial...please keep up the good work ahead in the future

ciao

wasim

Thanks for the comments! I will be going back through this at some point in the hopes to lay things out better since its a first draft but I will be sure to post here when changes have been made. I am in the process of trying to start a free tutorials site directed at surfacing and this will be a part of it.

Thanks

Guest Shift1313
I've followed this tutorial. Here are some renders (done in Modo):

post-16651-1286822451.jpg

post-16651-1286822431.jpg

great job steve! I see you added the "gills" that i omitted from the rear 1/4.;) Did you have any troubles along the way? At some point im going to edit/refine it so any comments are welcome for future improvements for the final version.

Guest SteveMacc

No real problems apart from occasional failure of surfaces cause by inaccurate curves. For some curves I used 3D curves rather than the projected type, in cases where I need to get the ends exactly coincident with another part, and couldn't really see the line on the blueprint. I find 3D curves can be easier in those cases, although controlling the spline handles can be a bit difficult.

I can never understand why the error messages you get from SW are not more specific, such as highlighting open ends. Tracking down errors is the most time consuming part of surface modelling in SW. Messages like "due to geometric conditions" are not very helpful!

Guest Shift1313
No real problems apart from occasional failure of surfaces cause by inaccurate curves. For some curves I used 3D curves rather than the projected type, in cases where I need to get the ends exactly coincident with another part, and couldn't really see the line on the blueprint. I find 3D curves can be easier in those cases, although controlling the spline handles can be a bit difficult.

I can never understand why the error messages you get from SW are not more specific, such as highlighting open ends. Tracking down errors is the most time consuming part of surface modelling in SW. Messages like "due to geometric conditions" are not very helpful!

Yeah tracking down problems can be a big pain! I have found the best way to get curves to work out is to project geometry. If you need to (in a 2d sketch) make your sketch coincident with the end of a 3d curve, just use convert entities and that will ensure you get it. Thats something I picked up while modeling that car and something I plan to point out when i edit the document.

You are the first person that has posted they have gone through the tutorial by the way. Im glad you were able to get through it and I really appreciate you posting the results! Thanks

Guest bagaudae

dude, this is great work and attitude!! Congratulations are in order, it`s not very common to see this type of sharing. Haven't even opened the tut. but i'm sure i will go trough it with a lot of attention!

Small unrelated question:

How the heck can i project a point into a non planar surface, within an assembly? i can create a reference projected point on surface, but the point will be projected normal to the "receiving" surface. I want it to be normal to the projecting sketch.

I'm quite sure there is a simple easy way of doing this, rather than drawing a spline on surface and making one of the ends of the spline to be "along «desired axis»...

Guest Shift1313
dude, this is great work and attitude!! Congratulations are in order, it`s not very common to see this type of sharing. Haven't even opened the tut. but i'm sure i will go trough it with a lot of attention!

Small unrelated question:

How the heck can i project a point into a non planar surface, within an assembly? i can create a reference projected point on surface, but the point will be projected normal to the "receiving" surface. I want it to be normal to the projecting sketch.

I'm quite sure there is a simple easy way of doing this, rather than drawing a spline on surface and making one of the ends of the spline to be "along «desired axis»...

Thanks bagaudae:)

For the point on a surface i would probably start a new question in this forum but if im understanding the question the point is always going to be projected normal to the sketch plane(if you use a 2d sketch reference). You can start a sketch in an assembly that isnt consumed by any of the parts. This sketch can have a sketch point in it which can be used as a reference. In your reference point creation dialog(plane, axis, point) select your surface and the point in your sketch. The result will be a point that is on your surface.

Is this what you want to do?