Product Design Forums

Treasurebox
Sign in to follow this  
Guest p waddy

Why Is My 3ds Max Render Such Bad Quality?

Guest p waddy

It has been a while since I used 3D Studio Max, so I just decided to refresh myself with the program modeling a shelving storage system. For some reason it seems very pixelated and very bad quality. Maybe there is a technique that I have forgotten or missed something simple out as I'm a little rusty...

Here is a render I have just done and also an older render to show the difference in quality.

Any ideas as to why it looks such poor quality? I tried adding lots of segments and an autosmooth but it has done nothing. It looks pixelated before I render it too with jagged lines.

post-27583-1285269925.jpg

post-27583-1285269999.jpg

It has been a while since I used 3D Studio Max, so I just decided to refresh myself with the program modeling a shelving storage system. For some reason it seems very pixelated and very bad quality. Maybe there is a technique that I have forgotten or missed something simple out as I'm a little rusty...

Here is a render I have just done and also an older render to show the difference in quality.

Any ideas as to why it looks such poor quality? I tried adding lots of segments and an autosmooth but it has done nothing. It looks pixelated before I render it too with jagged lines.

Doesn't look like it would be an issue with the model, so adding segments/smoothing won't do anything.

Looks like you have some setting on your rendering really low. Is that the default scanline renderer or Mental Ray?

Check to see any settings you might have checked accidentally. Looks like the filtering, anti-aliasing or resolution is messed up.

Guest p waddy

Cheers Cyberdemon, I had antialiasing unchecked so that seems to have solved the problem of the jagged edges. I have the renderer set to default scanline render, I'm not too sure how the mental ray thing works, when I used it the whole screen just renders black.

I'd like to play around with the material editor and lighting to get as much photorealism as possible. My current setup is 1 daylight, 2 omnis either side, then a plain curved like a half pipe. Do you have any suggestions for improvement or anywhere I can learn rendering a little better?

Thanks

Guest frindtc
Cheers Cyberdemon, I had antialiasing unchecked so that seems to have solved the problem of the jagged edges. I have the renderer set to default scanline render, I'm not too sure how the mental ray thing works, when I used it the whole screen just renders black.

I'd like to play around with the material editor and lighting to get as much photorealism as possible. My current setup is 1 daylight, 2 omnis either side, then a plain curved like a half pipe. Do you have any suggestions for improvement or anywhere I can learn rendering a little better?

Thanks

Hi there, I hope u are doing progress...

Here u have some great tutorials, with high quality & very clear documentation, I hope u can learn more from the site.

http://www.mrbluesummers.com/

Kind regards, Cris

Guest p waddy

Thanks for the website frindtc!!! I shall have a look through some of those videos later if I get the chance. I notice a lot of the 3ds max renders use v-ray which I don't think I currently have. Is it compatible with 3DS Max 8 and is it the best rendering plugin for the software?

Thanks for the website frindtc!!! I shall have a look through some of those videos later if I get the chance. I notice a lot of the 3ds max renders use v-ray which I don't think I currently have. Is it compatible with 3DS Max 8 and is it the best rendering plugin for the software?

Vray is very good, but Mental Ray (while very complex) is also really powerful. I did these renderings back in college with Maya + mental ray (same engine).

alfafall2.jpg

The default scan engine is pretty lackluster, so putting a lot of effort into it is pretty tough.

There is a lot of power in Mental Ray using the final gather and global illumination features. It also lets you set up objects to be lights, rather than lights themselves. For example that car was primarily lit with a large flat disc from above, where the color of the shader was set to a value of 4 or so. With final gathering, when the renderer sees an object with a value greater than 1 (full white) it interprets it as light. Lets you get really nice soft shadows and other photorealistic touches you can't get with the standard raytracer.

I had bought a DVD for Mental Ray which covered the Maya interface. If you can't get a copy of Vray (which is similar from a technology standpoint but with a different interface) try looking for some mental ray tutorials. It's very complex at first (took me almost a semester to master) but once you start to really understand what each command means (rather then arbitrarily flipping switches) you'll learn much quicker.