Product Design Forums

Treasurebox
Sign in to follow this  
Guest toto30mx

Solidworks Lame Interface

Guest toto30mx

Hi,

I just got a copy of solidworks 2009 sp3 from my university, installed it, modeling works great, all dandy; just one thing...the interface.

I know is not THAT important but I care a lot about interface (I use Rhino and I made my own background) because it affects my workflow when it comes to esthetics. So I tried solidworks in one of my universitie's computer and it looked so cool (it had a studio theme, reflections on the floor, edges and faces lit when selected) I felt like I was using a design tool from the future. But once installed in this computer...

Macbok pro 15" 2.8 GHZ

Nvidia Ge force 9600GT

4GB ram Intel core duo

(yes a mac with windows)

I get the interface of solidworks 2007 or earlier.

I know it has something to do with realview and my graphics card. Before giving up i thought I would ask the solidworkers out there.

so the question: how do i make my solidworks experience looking like the picture here???

thanks

post-22416-1284388373.gif

Guest Marc UK

Hi. First check the obvious things: Have you got Realview activated, because if not you'll only get the standard workspace graphics? Second: go to Solidworks website and check that your graphics card is indeed Realview compatible - just because it's a goood graphic#s card doesn't mean that it will be. I think that Ge-Force graphics crads aren't compatible - you require an 'FX', I think.

I believe Marc is correct - you need a Quadro series card to activate RealView in Solidworks.

On a Geforce series card you will not get that.

If your university has dedicated workstations they most likely have Quadro cards.

An ATI FireGL card should work too, as long as it's a 'workstation-class' card.

Which I think is whacky because all the fancy effects are essentially shaders right, and gaming cards are the masters of shaders and effects. And it's not possible to say the workstation cards render them more realistically because that's just not possible in real time anyway.

Which I think is whacky because all the fancy effects are essentially shaders right, and gaming cards are the masters of shaders and effects. And it's not possible to say the workstation cards render them more realistically because that's just not possible in real time anyway.

All comes down to how they optimize their drivers. The hardware is almost exactly the same, you just pay the insane premium for workstation (quadro/fireGL) hardware for the driver optimizations.

In the past you could "softmod" Geforce cards into Quadro cards through some driver hacks, but these days it's not too easy of a sell.

Guest Shift1313

All comes down to how they optimize their drivers. The hardware is almost exactly the same, you just pay the insane premium for workstation (quadro/fireGL) hardware for the driver optimizations.

In the past you could "softmod" Geforce cards into Quadro cards through some driver hacks, but these days it's not too easy of a sell.

These guys all nailed it. There are tons of options when it comes to graphical interface and if your graphics card cant handle it, some options wont be available. Im a bit different because i can't stand to model with shadows/reflects on so i strip down my window. The benefit for me even though i have an accepted graphics card is much faster display/dynamic motions.

Go to the Help menu and search for RealView or OpenGL and lots of stuff should come up.

Guest mcgreg

Solidworks communicates directly with Quadro or FireGL cards through OpenGL, while GeForce uses directX.

Once upon a time there was the GeForce 2600 that could be converted to a Quadro series by changing it's Bios, but I'm not familiarized with any other card where that's a possibility...

Using a GeForce is almost just as good as using a Quadro, except for some stability issues.

I work at a SolidWorks VAR, and we always recommend NVidia Quadro. But I'm well aware of their prices, and if for some reason, a client buys a GeForce, or any other non-certified graphics adapter, our main concern will be the system's stability, since 80% of all simple problems are related to it. Also, when working with those graphic adapters, it gets harder to work because it makes the computer slower in some things like zooming, pan, etc... and most importantly, it's more difficult some times to do something trivial like selecting an edge, which can be very important and time consuming in a long term.

Anyway, Realview is a great tool if your interested in renderings, but at an early stage of product developing, it's not so important...