Medical Product Design

• Please log in to reply
5 replies to this topic

#1 Guest_karlito_*

Guest_karlito_*
  • Guests

Posted 06 September 2010 - 03:56 PM

Hi everyone,
I'm a new member on this forum and hope that this post will help me to solve some issue.
I'm working for a while on design of face plate of medical device which needs some "mark" for a grip on both sides of display.
No handles,just texture or something like that to help a user to handle the device ( not to carry ).
Are there any ergonomical demands for a grip on medical products?
Any suggestions?
Attached File  1M.jpg   110.75KB   21 downloads
Attached File  2M.jpg   119.57KB   16 downloads

#2 Guest_Dastardly_Dave_*

Guest_Dastardly_Dave_*
  • Guests

Posted 15 October 2010 - 08:52 PM

Hi everyone,
I'm a new member on this forum and hope that this post will help me to solve some issue.
I'm working for a while on design of face plate of medical device which needs some "mark" for a grip on both sides of display.
No handles,just texture or something like that to help a user to handle the device ( not to carry ).
Are there any ergonomical demands for a grip on medical products?
Any suggestions?
Attached File  1M.jpg   110.75KB   21 downloads
Attached File  2M.jpg   119.57KB   16 downloads

There may be some standards or best practice recommendations but to the best of my knowledge there is no definite way you must do it ..............
but you should take a look through some relevant standards anyway.

In terms of figuring out your grips I suggest you build a full size mock up out of card or something similar. Weight it so it is similar to the final product and ask a range of people to lift/carry/grip it. Record all the results come up with some ideas and build them too. No point building out of light material and have it weigh less than actual product as people may be comfortable to grip it from the side.

To my eye the sides of the product look too sharp for comfortable gripping. Maybe smooth out a section with generous fillets for your intended grip site. Also you've just shown the front bezel, if you show the back housing too it might get you some good feed back.

Good luck with the project and post up your results

#3 Guest_Buff_*

Guest_Buff_*
  • Guests

Posted 16 October 2010 - 10:07 AM

I would further add that your user group should come from an indicative audiance. eg, medical professionals.

You should also study the way such people work with existing product and the likley senario for your products use. eg, will the operator likely to be wearing surgical gloves?

Personally I'd reccomend thay you don't ask what's wanted. Just observe. Study body language and facial inflections, they can tell you a lot about how a person feels. Remember folks are usually kind and won't want to hurt your feelings, so they may well say it's OK, but they may actually hate it.

#4 Guest_Shift1313_*

Guest_Shift1313_*
  • Guests

Posted 26 October 2010 - 09:01 PM

I would further add that your user group should come from an indicative audiance. eg, medical professionals.

You should also study the way such people work with existing product and the likley senario for your products use. eg, will the operator likely to be wearing surgical gloves?

Personally I'd reccomend thay you don't ask what's wanted. Just observe. Study body language and facial inflections, they can tell you a lot about how a person feels. Remember folks are usually kind and won't want to hurt your feelings, so they may well say it's OK, but they may actually hate it.

Where are they supposed to hold this thing? on the sides? top/bottom? I think it needs more material on the side to grab onto because not its not very ergonomic and there is not much surface around the display area.

#5 Guest_jonarves_*

Guest_jonarves_*
  • Guests

Posted 28 October 2010 - 08:16 PM

A dotted pattern where you want people to grip the object should be intuitive and sufficient to tell anybody where to grip, hold or handle the object.
The main issue is that the surface should be easy to clean. So I would recommend a soft dotted pattern with the dots pointing upwards. :)

#6 chandradeny1

chandradeny1

• Members
  • Pip
  • 1 posts

Posted 31 March 2012 - 12:02 PM

Hi all can any body suggest me about breathing machine if have you any idea about it then please shear with me

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

Sponsors:
Android Tablet
Designer Store