Product Design Forums

Treasurebox
Sign in to follow this  
Guest DdR`

Facilities at TUDelft

Guest DdR`

Hi all,

I will most likely (well.. hopefully) be studying at the TUDelft next year (i'm taking part in the erasmus programme). I am currently studying product development in Antwerp (Belgium), I will be completing my 3rd year this year if all goes well.

I have already read a lot about the courses I am able to follow and about the TUDelft, but I still have some questions;

- How big is the chance that you get picked for the eclective courses? I am willing to follow Maya and Solidworks, but I have no idea how big the chance is that you get into these courses.

- Is there some kind of intranet available at the TU that is accessible from outside of the university? Like for example I can put all my project files on the TU server and access them from home?

- This might be more of a luxuary problem, but I am wondering what's best - taking a good laptop or taking a 'non-portable' pc. Is it handy to have a laptop at the faculty, or is that not really necessary?

Thanks a lot in advance for you answers

- How big is the chance that you get picked for the eclective courses? I am willing to follow Maya and Solidworks, but I have no idea how big the chance is that you get into these courses.

- Is there some kind of intranet available at the TU that is accessible from outside of the university? Like for example I can put all my project files on the TU server and access them from home?

- This might be more of a luxuary problem, but I am wondering what's best - taking a good laptop or taking a 'non-portable' pc. Is it handy to have a laptop at the faculty, or is that not really necessary?

Thanks a lot in advance for you answers

well i'll give a try to answer your questions:

1) The work groups for maya and solidworks are relative big, more chance to be selected. I remember that I got 2 times bad luck for the 'Painter elective course' (small workgroup) :D I was finally selected when I applied for the 3rd time :)

2) you may ask Renzsu about this, he is living at the TU campus

3) The problem is that the faculty doesnt have enough PC's for the large amount of students. So if you have a laptop, take it with you, because you can plug it in the TU network in any faculty.

Laptop can be a real plus... if you have a somewhat decent one that you can do a bit of photoshopping on, it's a plus. Sometimes all the pc's are taken (and we have lots of them, but even more students) and you have no other option than to work at home.

Most of the bigger student flats (we don't have campusses, but there are a couple of areas in Delft that are fully hooked up to the Surfnet network). Even if you have regular cable/adsl or dialup you can still access your files on your university acount, so that's quite good.

I got in all electives that I chose first time around, never had to wait. Guess I got lucky, but since some electives (the more popular ones) are given more than once a year you'll have extra chances of getting in (also you might just want to suck up to the teacher explaining your situation.. :D ). Even if you don't get in, if you show up for the first class you might be able to take a spot from someone who got in but didn't show up (happens more than you think).

Guest DdR`

Thanks a lot for the answers! Quite good that you can access your files from outside the university.

I handed my application form in last week, I really had a hard time deciding what courses to take ... now I can only cross my fingers and hope I will get accepted at the TUDelft :)

If I have any more questions I hope you don't mind if I post them here :D

Guest DdR`

Just got an Email that I got selected for the erasmus program... great!

Renzu or Waikit, do you perhaps know anything about DUWO short stay housing?...I got a few questions about that...

Guest DdR`

I contacted DUWO (thx for the link), but basicly my 'problem' is as follows;

My girlfriend will most likely be comming with me to Delft. She's a speech languague pahtologist (Logopediste dus :) ) and will most likely be working in Delft the time that I will be studying at the TUDelft.

But we're a bit stuck with the housing...I can get a flat for myself via DUWO but due to the rules and regulations of DUWO you are not allowed to live in these flats with two people (because of insurances and such). So I asked DUWO if I could rent a flat fot two people, but they seem to reserve these flats for visiting professors who come over with their wife or so.

So DUWO wasn't really able to help me out, pitty.

Suppose you know of a way getting a flat/house/whatever for two people, it would be great if you let me know (I am already looking on sites like kamernet and so on...but you never know an 'insiders' has other information)

Thx a lot

(Pretty funny speaking to a dutch speaking person in english :) )