Product Design Forums

Treasurebox
Sign in to follow this  
Guest JLo

Injection Mold With Changeable Insert

Guest JLo

Hello-

Im currently working with a Chinese vendor to make a tool for our company. However- I can not work with them directly- I must go through a project manager with the company- who then communicates with the vendor. The project manager is not a manufacturer, or 3D expert.

We had a concept to make a rigid plastic container, with a button release lid. This lid was meant to have an insert in the tool- so we can change the design of the top surface easily and frequently without changing the tool. This way our customers can have custom designs on their package.

I explained best I could- I mistakenly thought this was common knowledge for a tooling manufacturer. However, I was first told that yes they understood- and implemented the concept. Then found out they did not. I made the attached diagram to explain to them the idea again, and they responded back to me with virtually the exact same 3D, claiming they did it all along. I find this to be a joke- there is no way this can be correct tooling- the insert is a straight extrude!

please help- is there anything online that shows an insert in a tool well enough to teach someone the concept? Are there videos? is there a site? anything. I went to Wikki- and pulled of some info, but its not the best.

thank you!Tool_Insert.pdf

Guest Karl Baxter

Why don't you create some diagrams/illustrations that depict the insert with a few different logos/designs on it, and then have the lids that match the particular inserts shown also. When language is in the way of negotiations explain everything right down to the very last degree.

Guest Dastardly_Dave

I worked in injection moulding 3years during my summers in college my advice: tooling in Europe and manufacture in China.Probably not as useful right now in your situation. I'd agree with Karl Baxter, maybe keep the diagram diagrammy because you don't want them thinking your few examples are the entire range.

All that said they want your business so I'm sure they'll get the point.

Good luck lad.

P.S. Out of curiosity did you do the 3d modelling yourself and if so what package d'you use?

Guest Bowl of Soup

I hate to be so vague, and you likely cannot just up and move manufacturers, it takes time to build relationships, etc...

BUT, some companies I know in your position are moving to the Czech Republic and/or Mexico. I also like Karl's idea, why not, assuming you can trust the manufacturer with expensive tooling.

Guest miuse

Probably a bit late, but drop me an email. I am an industrial designer and opened an office in Shanghai, China, nearly 6 years ago; specifically to help designers deal with suppliers there. We have been training the team in western ways and design requirements for a long time.

You can discuss the problem with me then i will have one of my engineers call yr guy to explain in Chinese, written or verbal.

mitch@strineltd.com

*it might also be that your supplier does not have the experience to understand the problem. it took us a few years to find the right suppliers; simple things like cooling, pressure, gating, ejection etc. you take for granted that the supplier will have experience in these areas.

cheers!

Mitch

Guest rickeyxiong
Hello-

Im currently working with a Chinese vendor to make a tool for our company. However- I can not work with them directly- I must go through a project manager with the company- who then communicates with the vendor. The project manager is not a manufacturer, or 3D expert.

We had a concept to make a rigid plastic container, with a button release lid. This lid was meant to have an insert in the tool- so we can change the design of the top surface easily and frequently without changing the tool. This way our customers can have custom designs on their package.

I explained best I could- I mistakenly thought this was common knowledge for a tooling manufacturer. However, I was first told that yes they understood- and implemented the concept. Then found out they did not. I made the attached diagram to explain to them the idea again, and they responded back to me with virtually the exact same 3D, claiming they did it all along. I find this to be a joke- there is no way this can be correct tooling- the insert is a straight extrude!

please help- is there anything online that shows an insert in a tool well enough to teach someone the concept? Are there videos? is there a site? anything. I went to Wikki- and pulled of some info, but its not the best.

thank you!Tool_Insert.pdf

Well, probably it is a late reply for you.

Interchangeable insert tool is common . If you have similar featured products, this kind of tool is the best choice as it saves your money a lot! It is very likely that your vender was lying to you and just want to get your money.

Anyway, send over an email to me if you are still stuck there. Or visit us at www dot maxaengineering.com. Our engineering skills will tell you something.

All the best.

Merry X'mas!

Rickey

Guest spillai00

Jlo....we have gone thru this phase..in the long term try to get the confidence of ur manager......basically make himm look good and thing will go ur way.....

U meet all sorts of ppl ..every day ..i once had to teach a manager how to an angle protractor....

ohh and yes interchangeable insert is a very common tech

Cheers

Ram

This reply is also late but can give some informaton to others I hope.

1. Make the replaceable inserts taper (easy to install), as if installation is from front side without downloading the mould.

2. Design the fixing method. Screwing method is ok -- This is also from front side

3. Ejector pins & Runner location should be exactly same

If anybody needs a sketch let me know. I will draw a simple one & send you

Vijay

http://www.engmatl.com/