Product Design Forums

Treasurebox
Sign in to follow this  
Guest mart2010uk

Bmw Sketch

Guest mart2010uk

Hey, im new here and hoping to improve my rendering/sketching skills.. Did a quick one tonight:post-39342-1282095362.jpg

Sorry for the bad quality picture (taken with phone) Any comments welcome :D

Guest Karl Baxter

I like it, but it is really an arty type illustration rather than a car rendering. Have some top quality examples around your workspace to take hints from.

Your rendering of the materials is good. The gloss is spot on but right now it's like putting makeup on a pig. Your proportions and form are awkward and your elipses are flat and out of perspective. My advice is to work on your linework and proportions before you continue to rendering.

It is really hard to improve, if someone tells you, work on perspective, you need probably help in first steps. it might also be that your rendering is deteriorated even more by Fisheye or Inverted fisheye effect of the camera lens, that means if you use a regular camera you need to find a certain zoom where distortion is minimal. Now to your car. it is really hard to understand if you were trying to depict an old 5-series of 80ies, or you were trying to design your own BMW. So far it is a .mixture. Nowadays cars tend to have different arch stampings, different window height/door sill rim ratio( the height of the windows versus the distance from the lower edge of the window until the lower body sill where the body starts to curve underneath.) i tried to add some red markings to the problem areas with perspective and design. A-pillar needs improvement definitely. Wheel arches and wheels are off, besides this looks a very obsolete way of stamping wheel arches. All cars try to follow latest fashion in wheel arch stampings( except Dodge Challenger, hehe). Whenever designing a car , always try to find where the middle of the car is( mark it), it will help you to find the exact locations of windshield sprinklers, headlight position, etc. Pay attention also to the way your b and c pillars are depicted, correct that as well. Well, adding a back -to -future level of window within a window isn`t helping much either. And don`t put such lower lips that are much lower than the lower edge of the car. Imagine it is a taboo, and don`t go lower than the lowest point of the body is between front and rear wheels, otherwise the front lip looks alien and amateur. this issue is even ignored by most of german expensive tuning companies, Scnitzer, Mitzer, whateveritzer. I hope this will help , as my intention was not to humiliate or belittle you in any way.

post-28725-1282288940.jpg

Guest Dsign Ranger

It looks to me that mart2010uk was depicting a pre-existing BMW model as opposed to an original new design. The model in question looks to be the old BMW 3 series of the 80s. As noted earlier, the shadings are effectively done and you've been observant enough about the details of the actual/real car you are trying to replicate that anyone familiar with the model will instantly recognize it. On the other hand, as noted, areas of the structure that need revision are the top portion of the car...the window screens, and even the wheel arches could use some reworking, even though they are those of the old 80s BMW style. With the reworking of the front window screen, the end of the bonnet close to it can likewise be reworked to give it straighter horizontal profile. The rear-end/tail could be less rounded.

Guest mart2010uk

Hi all thanks for all the input.. i know im not brilliant at rendering/sketching at all, so any comments are appreciated as im trying to improve. Ive been taught to render like this in Uni usually sketching over another similar vehicle/object and adding your own touches.. with this one i had a bash at doing it free hand, whilst copying from an image on my comp screen.. Shows how bad i am really.. So i should work on getting perspectives sorted first then.. any tips? i guess drawing straight lines to work from and like you said find the middle of the object is the first.. Thanks ;)

ps. sorry took a while to reply been having a few car related problems ironically :D

Guest mart2010uk

Hey again, I did another similar illustration of a car but worked on getting the perceptions better.. I know it’s very arty one again :( I will try another and take tips from some pre-existing work if I can find some :) any tips on the rendering side? Anyway here is the image (sorry about the quality as it was taken with my phone):

post-39342-1282946671.jpg

Any comments helpful, Thanks! :)

Guest ID2010

yeah man that last perspective is awesome. Fix some minor errors (ie the logo) and speed up your process (id like to see some faster rendering) and youve got some skills. good luck

Guest mart2010uk

Hey, thanks for the replys .. yeah i see what you are saying about the badge. The shading on the bonnet annoys me too, with it being smooth on the right side and a bit scratchy on the left.. if you understand that :) .. I've done another little sketch of a bulb just to practice pen sketching like suggested which i dont think im very good at.. anyone any tips :P thank you! and here is my bulb sketch:

post-39342-1283391727.jpg

Guest marco.sala
Hey, thanks for the replys .. yeah i see what you are saying about the badge. The shading on the bonnet annoys me too, with it being smooth on the right side and a bit scratchy on the left.. if you understand that :D .. I've done another little sketch of a bulb just to practice pen sketching like suggested which i dont think im very good at.. anyone any tips :) thank you! and here is my bulb sketch:

post-39342-1283391727.jpg

The bulb sketch is fine, but careful with sizes. The 'glass part' of the bulb (sorry, can't think about a better English term!) looks much larger in the background than in the foreground, if you know what I mean.

Haven't posted in a while, just finished my degree and finally have a little time do some hand renders and thought I would post them here :) any comments welcome... post-49590-0-10598800-1308270648.jpg

the wheels of BMW... is it having flat tyres? the tyres seem like pointed on the sides... but besides this every thing else looks just fine~

btw is there any BMW that doesnt have a logo andd that patent grates? i mean it'll kinda be an innovation if there are any...

Sorry I haven't replied in a little while, been quite busy recently doing New Designers in London and finding a job since graduating :). Thanks for the comments, Yeah the BMW is a little off in perspectives as pointed out, and the wheels are a bit strange. It was kinda a quick job, and I was going for more of a sketchy sketch. Yeah I believe they already have badge-less grills on BMW (not that I copied this from one though). Ok sketchyd when I get time I will post some. Thanks guys!