Product Design Forums

Treasurebox
Sign in to follow this  
Guest ROY

Shot Or Key? What Gives?!

Guest ROY

Hi all!

My company wants to buy a rendering program. We were considering - bunkspeed Shot or Lexion

Keyshot. Any suggestions?

What's the differance? Who's better?

Hi all!

My company wants to buy a rendering program. We were considering - bunkspeed Shot or Lexion

Keyshot. Any suggestions?

What's the differance? Who's better?

All of this info as well as trial software can be downloaded from their sites. I would suggest downloading both apps and running through them for a week to see which suits your needs better. Bunkspeed now features GPU acceleration which may be a benefit, or may be unimportant.

You should spend some time with the UI and see which you find easier to work with - they're both plenty capable tools.

I use Keyshot 2 and am trying Shot as well (as hypershot owner I will get it anyway). So far my experiences with Shot have been less than enthralling though. It is very clear to me that to use it you really need to be running a 64bit OS with a ton of RAM, and, preferably a high spec NVidia CUDA enable graphics card with a minimum of 1GB VRAM. If your Video card has less than 1GB VRAM SHOT only runs in CPU mode - like Keyshot - but in this mode it is pretty slow.

In its current form Shot is not ready for prime time. It is still buggy and if you are running a 32bit OS you can basically forget it - though this is improving as time goes on (but by then I suspect most users will either opt for something else or upgrade to new hardware).

The best advice is to try both and see how it works on your existing set up.

I am very sure that if I had a state of the art $10k workstation loaded with multiple graphics cards and 16GB RAM SHOT would run very well, but therein lies the problem. The other potential issue is that SHOT is built on iRay from Mental Images. iRay is a rendering component that is being built into other rendering systems, so if you have one of those systems you might as well wait until it is integrated. Some CAD systems will be getting it as well - like CATIA.

Also take a look at Modo as well - it has a similar realtime rendering engine, but is a fully featured polygonal modelling and animation system as well as a renderer - and it is cheaper than both Keyshot and Shot.

try them all!

Guest Dastardly_Dave

Probably a bit unrelated but what 3d package are you using? I'm using Vray for Rhino and I love it. Lots of online support. Great results and it is a plug in not a standalone so it works in rhino. I'm using it on a laptop, and would generally dedicate one working day to producing a render packed presentation anywhere from 10-20 depending on what's needed. Saying that I'm doing product shots not architectural scenes.

I'd say a steep learning curve for about a week, after that you'll know more than enough to get some cracking results...everything after this is just improving towards photo realism.

UI isn't slick but everything is where it needs to be.

I've also used Photoview 360 for Solid works.....avoid.

Off topic but worth a look anyway

Guest ROY

Thank you all for your answers!

I'm working on SW 2009, so I don't really need another polygon program...

By the way- if I don't have an internet connection available, is it possible to use either programs?