Product Design Forums

Treasurebox
Sign in to follow this  
Guest LukeDesigner

Microsoft Xbox 360 Dual Joystick Controller

Guest LukeDesigner

This is my Xbox 360 Dual Joystick controller, that i designed and prototyped as a college project. I modelled it in SolidWorks 2010. The renders are done in PhotoView 360. Please leave comments :)

post-38924-1280529950.jpg

post-38924-1280530223.jpg

post-38924-1280530230.jpg

Guest cdckjn

In terms of ergonomics, the two joystick may be too close to one another. If I move the left joystick to the right and the right joystick to the left, (meaning the both joystick moving to the centre) then the two hands will knock into one another Ouch! it may be painful.

Otherwise the design looks like a Xbox controller to me. You may want to look at other Microsoft joystick for further reference (I guess you did - as the dual joystick looks Microsoft to me already)

This is my Xbox 360 Dual Joystick controller, that i designed and prototyped as a college project. I modelled it in SolidWorks 2010. The renders are done in PhotoView 360. Please leave comments :)

Guest LukeDesigner
In terms of ergonomics, the two joystick may be too close to one another. If I move the left joystick to the right and the right joystick to the left, (meaning the both joystick moving to the centre) then the two hands will knock into one another Ouch! it may be painful.

Otherwise the design looks like a Xbox controller to me. You may want to look at other Microsoft joystick for further reference (I guess you did - as the dual joystick looks Microsoft to me already)

Hey, the joysticks were made to high ergonomic standards. The joysticks work on the pivot of the anolog sticks that are in the original xbox 360 controller, they have been made so they do not touch eachother. I designed it from scratch, i didnt realise there was a microsoft joystick? :) :)

Thanks for your input :)

Was the form of the handle informed by a physical prototype?

It comes off a bit too much as a squished ball of clay - IE you squeezed the form with your hand and the result was your shape. While the result is always going to be perfectly comfortable for a certain hand type, it seems like theres a bit too much unnecessary scuplting on the bottom of the joystick. A lot of grip features where they probably aren't necessary for the application.

If you were to take this further, I would suggest using that as your starting point and seeing what you can simplify on the form to visually make it more simplified without reducing the ergonomics of it.

Guest LukeDesigner

It comes off a bit too much as a squished ball of clay - IE you squeezed the form with your hand and the result was your shape. While the result is always going to be perfectly comfortable for a certain hand type, it seems like theres a bit too much unnecessary scuplting on the bottom of the joystick. A lot of grip features where they probably aren't necessary for the application.

If you were to take this further, I would suggest using that as your starting point and seeing what you can simplify on the form to visually make it more simplified without reducing the ergonomics of it.

The bottom of the joystick is there as a hand rest/guide so you know specifically where your hand should go. The model was designed around the average hand size of my college course companions. I didnt use a ball of clay ^^ I just took the hand size average and made it to that specification, in diameter and height :)

The bottom of the joystick is there as a hand rest/guide so you know specifically where your hand should go. The model was designed around the average hand size of my college course companions. I didnt use a ball of clay ^^ I just took the hand size average and made it to that specification, in diameter and height :)

It's not the bottom part that I have an issue with, it's the whole center section. You have a whole lot of undulations in your form that seem unnecessary and make it look overworked so that the aesthetic doesn't quite match up with the rest of the form or the Xbox language. It seems like this is the far extreme of the spectrum - bringing it back a little might be worth considering if you decide to develop this further.

Guest LukeDesigner

It's not the bottom part that I have an issue with, it's the whole center section. You have a whole lot of undulations in your form that seem unnecessary and make it look overworked so that the aesthetic doesn't quite match up with the rest of the form or the Xbox language. It seems like this is the far extreme of the spectrum - bringing it back a little might be worth considering if you decide to develop this further.

Okay, Thank you for your suggestions. :) I will consider your input if i do decide to carry it on in the future.

Oh yeah and one last thing I noticed. If you're replicating the Xbox controller you'd probably want to to the 4 way D-pad (on the left stick) and all 4 buttons on the right. Looks like right now you eliminated the D-pad.

Hi LukeDesigner

Cool project, I’m likening your 3D model. Not sure about the flat base of the controller. Would you need a level surface (eg table) in order to use this controller or would placing it on your lap be sufficient?

Guest Shift1313

nice work! I think you did a great job with it. I agree that the joystick shape needs a bit of work. The finger detents in the front of the joysticks are too pronounced so you would get pinch points with prolonged usage. Also i wouldnt carry those around the sides while they blend. Again it would be a fatigue issue on the hands. As it stands now my xbox controller isnt very ergo for my hands and i could see the joysticks having the same issue. If you are just lightly gripping its probably not an issue but "in the heat of battle" it may not be comfortable.

Again great work and dont take my comments in the negative. Products are rarely designed for production right off the bat. It would be cool if you had a working proto. Any pics of the proto you had made?

Guest LukeDesigner
Hi LukeDesigner

Cool project, I’m likening your 3D model. Not sure about the flat base of the controller. Would you need a level surface (eg table) in order to use this controller or would placing it on your lap be sufficient?

Hey Stramliner, that is one of the downsides of the design, you may need a table or a level surface. On the remake i intend on taking it into consideration and make it so its more universal.

Thanks for the comment :)