- - - - -

Pdf Resolution Vs File Size.

• Please log in to reply
2 replies to this topic

#1 Guest_Plastic Brick_*

Guest_Plastic Brick_*
  • Guests

Posted 28 July 2010 - 03:32 PM

I have created many PDF files of my portfolio to send to employers, and have done some research on ways to compress the files so they are small enough to send in an email. Some sources say to use the PDF optimizer to shrink the quality to reduce the size. However ther difference between just medium quality and low quality is 50-75%. This can pixellate the images to the point where they are not worth sending out. Is a medium quality PDF portfolio that has 20 slides and is 7 or 8 Megs a bad thing?

#2 Cyberdemon

Cyberdemon

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,709 posts
  • At:Motorola Solutions

Posted 28 July 2010 - 04:28 PM

You should be able to get the size lower than that - 200k/page is more than enough for a good screen quality image.

A few tips:

Make sure you aren't trying to compress text. If you have text that is rasterized and not being saved in vector format (IE if you did the whole layout in photoshop and flattened it) you're wasting a lot of resources right there, I've seen this done many times.

Play with lowering the JPG image compression settings but keeping the pixel size higher. A lot of times your images won't be set right, so Acrobat will compress them but not actually downsample them (this is defined in the menu as downsample images higher than XXX DPI) anything higher than 150dpi will be a waste.

I would say play with it, or provide a smaller portfolio with a link to download it. Keep in mind many people now will browse email on their phones, so if you send me an 8 meg email you've probably just grinded my email to a halt until it finishes downloading, and that's a bad thing.

#3 Guest_menappi_*

Guest_menappi_*
  • Guests

Posted 31 July 2010 - 04:51 AM

8 mb is way too big for e-mail. I know some inboxes will reject files based on file size. As far as your best option, yes, PDF will be the easiest way to compress everything and keep everything as a single manageable file. My e-mail version of my portfolio is 2.0 MB and it is 20 pages of tabloid sized PDF's, all decent quality (6-7 on a scale of 1-10). For e-mails that's good enough. Play with the resolution in Adobe Acrobat. No reason you need to be above 72dpi for on screen viewing.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

Sponsors: