Product Design Forums

Treasurebox
Sign in to follow this  
Guest tede

2 Quick Alias Questions.

Guest tede

Is there a way to colour the surfaces individually, regard less of layer in the modeling arena?

Coming from Rhino when i had a problem surface on a layer, i would change the colour of that surface individually to highlight the area(s) with issues but continue with the modeling.

I know i can colour this differently in the viz arena, or even change the layer and layer colour, but clicking the diagonostic shading tools gets me out of the viz arena.

3 point tangent circle?.

The fillet tool works great on converging lines. I cant for the life of me work out how to do this one quickly, but i seem to have to spend ages setting up a framework of additional lines to allow me to create a well fitted arc between 2 parallel crvs.

I cant help but feel like im missing somethign obvious here.

Any help will be greatly recieved!

Tim

Is there a way to colour the surfaces individually, regard less of layer in the modeling arena?

Coming from Rhino when i had a problem surface on a layer, i would change the colour of that surface individually to highlight the area(s) with issues but continue with the modeling.

I know i can colour this differently in the viz arena, or even change the layer and layer colour, but clicking the diagonostic shading tools gets me out of the viz arena.

3 point tangent circle?.

The fillet tool works great on converging lines. I cant for the life of me work out how to do this one quickly, but i seem to have to spend ages setting up a framework of additional lines to allow me to create a well fitted arc between 2 parallel crvs.

I cant help but feel like im missing somethign obvious here.

Any help will be greatly recieved!

Tim

No way to color individual surfaces. If you want to change the color of the outline the easiest way would just be to make a new layer (or keep a layer in your stack that you aren't using) and colorize that layer, then when you need to just put the object on that layer.

You can colorize surfaces in diagnostic shade by going to the multi-color setting (2nd from the left on the top) then if you pop down the settings with the arrow underneath it will give you a color setting for your individual surface to be changed.

As far as fitting an arc, maybe I'm not clear but the standard arc tool has a 3 point setup? Alternatively the easier way to build a curve with tangency to 2 other curves is to use a blend curve. If I'm missing something here then maybe you can post a screenshot of what you're trying to achieve.

Guest tede

Hey thanks for the super fast reply!

I thought that might be the case with the surface colours, not a real issue, jsut curious. I like the idea of assigning misbehaving surfs to a red layer or something.

I uploaded an image of the 3 point circle problem I encountered. Please understand that i come from a SW background where you can just assign tangency between an object with a few clicks, so I am sure im jsut stuck in my parametric ways here.

What can you suggest to place this arc perfectly and tan to the 3 bordering crvs?

post-1307-1279811393.jpg

I thought that might be the case with the surface colours, not a real issue, jsut curious. I like the idea of assigning misbehaving surfs to a red layer or something.

I uploaded an image of the 3 point circle problem I encountered. Please understand that i come from a SW background where you can just assign tangency between an object with a few clicks, so I am sure im jsut stuck in my parametric ways here.

What can you suggest to place this arc perfectly and tan to the 3 bordering crvs?

Still not completely clear, you say you want that circle to be tangent but in 3 spots?

Are you just trying to build a full radius between the outside of your two curves?

If so, why not use the curve fillet tool?

Guest tede

Still not completely clear, you say you want that circle to be tangent but in 3 spots?

Are you just trying to build a full radius between the outside of your two curves?

If so, why not use the curve fillet tool?

Ok so like i said i am coming from a SW background, in SW i jsut create a 3 point tangent circle, this keeps the curve endpoints down, as SW doesnt like to fillet 2 sides to create a complete arc, as it looses a curve. (the top horizontal line dissapears as the 2 fillets complete exactly 50% of the arc each). In Rhino you have the 3 point tangent circle tool too, so I was curious to see if there was some way to place a complete circle in the space in one operation, rather than 2 fillets, then draw an arc over them.

But I get it now, thanks man!

Yeah - to be honest I don't do anything with arcs or circles really, but it seems like theres probably some easy ways to do it (maybe too many ways).

If you know the center point and radius of your fillet you can also probably just align the circle to the two end points. Check some of the tools in the keypoint box and the xfcrv feature - that seems to let you snap a circle to a rail pretty easily, then you can just use crv section to trim the rest of the circle away.