Product Design Forums
Sign in to follow this  
Guest marco.sala

Wood For Kitchen Tools

Guest marco.sala

Hi all,

I'd like to manifacture some kitchen tools (spoons, chopping board...), although I have experience in working wood I am unsure what type of wood is best for this purposes. Any idea?

Guest Ceri
Hi all,

I'd like to manifacture some kitchen tools (spoons, chopping board...), although I have experience in working wood I am unsure what type of wood is best for this purposes. Any idea?

You could try Teak if you want something exotic, or laminated bamboo if you want something a bit more contemporary. Basically you will be looking for a hard wood with a small tight grain which is dimensionally stable. Birch, if I remember correctly, is particularly odorless and fined grain but I don't think it has the best dimensional stability.

Hevea (rubber wood) is an oily wood that I particularly like as it is a by product of managed rubber estates so it is quite nice to use it rather than burn it.

Hope that helps

Ceri

Guest Bowl of Soup

preference should be given to harder woods (maple, oak, bamboo, etc)

the finish (coatings, etc) must be acceptable for food use.

Guest marco.sala
Hi all,

You could try Teak if you want something exotic, or laminated bamboo if you want something a bit more contemporary. Basically you will be looking for a hard wood with a small tight grain which is dimensionally stable. Birch, if I remember correctly, is particularly odorless and fined grain but I don't think it has the best dimensional stability.

Hevea (rubber wood) is an oily wood that I particularly like as it is a by product of managed rubber estates so it is quite nice to use it rather than burn it.

Hope that helps

Ceri

Is hevea expensive/difficult to get hold of?

Guest nicanor

You may or may not know this but just mentioning to those that don't for their future reference. Some wood species are not food-safe (especially exotic woods), so best to research if you're not sure. And when finishing make sure you use a food-safe finish. I like using mineral oil; inexpensive and works and look great (cheaper to buy from pharmacy than a wood supplier).

Guest marco.sala
You may or may not know this but just mentioning to those that don't for their future reference. Some wood species are not food-safe (especially exotic woods), so best to research if you're not sure. And when finishing make sure you use a food-safe finish. I like using mineral oil; inexpensive and works and look great (cheaper to buy from pharmacy than a wood supplier).

Thanks for the advice nicanor.