Product Design Forums

Treasurebox
Sign in to follow this  
Guest victor.j

Koss Earbuds

Guest victor.j

too keep my teqniuqes fresh during the summer brake i gave myself an assignment.

Design a pair of Koss earbuds. (not very complicated i know, but hey, it is summer after all:)

So heres my progress so far, and i will post my progress as the sketching continues....

I started off with 27 quick sketches and then selected 8 of these to look closer at.

Feedback is much appreciated:)

post-36779-1277642311.jpg

post-36779-1277642330.jpg

Nice sketches.

You have to watch your proportions. The main scale reference is now the the jack - which I assume is the standard 3.5mm? If so, the earplug will be huge, way to big for human ears. Also not so sure about the ergonomics of the jack angled inwards.

Actually, is it really useful to be able to remove the buds? I can see the point with big headphones, but the smaller plugs?

I like the thumbnail in the bottom left, it says KOSS to me more than anything on the page. But if I were to purchase a pair of earplugs, it would probably look like concept #9.

Guest victor.j
Nice sketches.

You have to watch your proportions. The main scale reference is now the the jack - which I assume is the standard 3.5mm? If so, the earplug will be huge, way to big for human ears. Also not so sure about the ergonomics of the jack angled inwards.

Actually, is it really useful to be able to remove the buds? I can see the point with big headphones, but the smaller plugs?

I like the thumbnail in the bottom left, it says KOSS to me more than anything on the page. But if I were to purchase a pair of earplugs, it would probably look like concept #9.

Thanks for the feedback!

The jack isn´t a 3,5mm it is actually a 2,5mm (also a standard size but not used as frequently as the 3,5mm jack, nokia users are often familiar with the 2,5mm jack)

size comparisson:

http://img.alibaba.com/photo/238660544/2_5...dphone_jack.jpg

the usefullness (if thats a word:P) of using the removable cables is that the cable is (at least to me) the first thing that breaks. And I was also thinking of creating two different sets of cables, mabie one with a volume/play/pause controll and one standard cable.

Guest ID2010

Must it be a jack that connects them? why not screw on or another form of attachment?

Guest victor.j
Usually you don't use a 2,5mm jack for those purposes.

For this application more compact plugs are being used.

Have a look at Sleek Audio, Ultimate Ears, Westone, Shure etc. - but anyway, I like your sketches.

Thanks for the tips!, many interesting solutions there.

Must it be a jack that connects them? why not screw on or another form of attachment?

At the moment the jack seems to be the best solution,

1) it kan spin in the earplug (cords have tendecies to twist)

2) it sits firmly without any locking system

3) its a standardized system.

But this dosent mean that I will use a jack in the final version, still in the concept stage:)

Guest angela1983

Hi, I'm not a designer, but i always talk with designers about how to produce their parts.

About front area, do you request it to be soft? Such like Rubber effect? Maybe it feel better when contact ears.

And about jack, I think in usage, as per this upright direction, maybe its easier to drop. Just imaine, when i move the other side of earplug, this end will be pulled.

Guest victor.j
Hi, I'm not a designer, but i always talk with designers about how to produce their parts.

About front area, do you request it to be soft? Such like Rubber effect? Maybe it feel better when contact ears.

And about jack, I think in usage, as per this upright direction, maybe its easier to drop. Just imaine, when i move the other side of earplug, this end will be pulled.

Hi!

Yes!, the front area should be rubber, and should also come in different sizes to fit all ears.

The jack on this concept is equipped with a magnetic locking system (showed porly on the underside image) however the jack thing dosen´t seem to be very popular, mabie I´ll change it anyway:)

Guest Matt@BU

Nice sketches so far mate keep it up, one thing I would say is with your hand renders, the buds look sweet, but the backdrops need to be more solid I would say, whether your marker is running out or not? Or its a case of getting more marker down while its still wet? Just a suggestion, but the 'streakiness' definitely caught my eye. Looking forward to this thread though, I have a soft spot for ear bud sketches!