Product Design Forums

Treasurebox
Sign in to follow this  
Guest tomleedsdes

Quick Sketch Project, Comments Please :)

Guest tomleedsdes

Hi all,

Trying to improve my presentation / rendering and speed at the moment so trying to do half an hour a night. Here's the results of Monday and Tuesday's efforts, I'll try and post a couple more sketches this week to keep practice up!

Thanks for the advice.

Tom

post-14086-1276638787.jpg

post-14086-1276638810.jpg

post-14086-1276638823.jpg

Guest tomleedsdes
all the background color and shadows is making them "dirty." do not overwork 'em. otherwise they are looking pretty good.

Hi,

thanks, I think that's one of my problems, rendering enough to get the form but not so much that it loses its energy and looks boring!

Guest tomleedsdes

really quick one! its difficult to find time after work but I'm enjoying getting back into sketching again! :)

post-14086-1276725722.jpg

Guest tomleedsdes
really quick one! its difficult to find time after work but I'm enjoying getting back into sketching again! :)

Just noticed the flask on the top left has got some weird perspective going on!

Any comments about the drawing style / page layout?

Your most recent pen only sketches are 10x better than the digital ones above. Most of them convey a quick but confident technique. I particularly dig the sketch that say Refuel! next to it.

Just a little bit of advice when it come to lighting and shadows. You generally want to show off your design in light, but all of your sketches the object is shrouded in shadows. So choose a light source that shows off your design with the shadows coming behind it instead of in front of it, or off to the side.

Also use shadows to further define the form of your object. Right now you have shadows that are not adding anything to your sketch because they are just random arbitrary shapes and do not look even the slightest like the objects the shadows are casting from.

Guest tomleedsdes
Your most recent pen only sketches are 10x better than the digital ones above. Most of them convey a quick but confident technique. I particularly dig the sketch that say Refuel! next to it.

Just a little bit of advice when it come to lighting and shadows. You generally want to show off your design in light, but all of your sketches the object is shrouded in shadows. So choose a light source that shows off your design with the shadows coming behind it instead of in front of it, or off to the side.

Also use shadows to further define the form of your object. Right now you have shadows that are not adding anything to your sketch because they are just random arbitrary shapes and do not look even the slightest like the objects the shadows are casting from.

Hi sketchd,

Thanks for the advice. I think shading the form is something I need to work on! but see what you mean about lighting the object to make it easier to understand.

The cast shadows were supposed to be kind of artistic but looking at it now they look a bit silly bearing no relation the the design shape! :)

cheers, more to come when I find more time!

Guest Nick Madsen

As mentioned by a few people above Im not a fan of the brush strokes behind your sketches. However, adding an element behind your sketch (I often add blocks/boxes behind my sketches - see tape measure & camera) can add alot of depth. I just dont think the brush strokes pull it off quite right, maybe because they are too soft and just look like a smudge.

I liked your last post of sketches alot better, they seem much more confident and free. Particularly I like the sketch with "Refuel!" next too it. The exaggerated perspective makes it look great.