Product Design Forums

Treasurebox
Sign in to follow this  
scorpio.tn1

What White Pencil, To Use ?

Hay guys,

i live in Ireland UK, and i dont use white pencel hardley every when sketching or render.

but i really want to start for highlights etc.

problem is, ive tried lots and they pencil itself does not seem to be made of a good material and is prity Useless.

i have even tried Pastel Pencils, but this gives a chalk dust on the drawing, similar with oil pastels.

If tried Cyrola white pencil, but it doesnt even layer at all and wont even apply over certain sketches.

am i right in thinking a Prisma white pencil is best ?

what pencil is best for highlights, one thats good at building layer etc

I've only used Prismas...keep in mind white pencil is only so effective, and not very good at going over any dark color regardless of the pencil. That's why people used to use gouache for highlights because it was thick and would cover up what was below it.

Usually if I cover anything up with white pencil I would then scan it into photoshop and adjust the levels so I can erase what was below the pencil and get it to nice and white.

yea thats the problem i have, any white pencil i have used, never completly Coverd what was below it. so apart from using white paint or Tip-ex, but then if you do that, you get that dreded .. Bird poop effect. like you left your sketch work out and bird @#$@#$ all over it.

Guest Snelwagen

For the Highlights I use a posca paintmarker, to lighten up some surfaces ussualy a white derwent coloursoft or soft pastel...

Theres nothing wrong with using bird @#$@#$ if you're presenting the sketch directly. As long as it's controlled and not over used.

If you're presenting sketches in class no one will criticize it, and if you need a more polished rendering you can touch it up in photoshop, or just work on doing your renderings digitally.