Product Design Forums

Treasurebox
Sign in to follow this  
Guest Jon Vino

Why Use Blue Or Red Pencil?

Guest Jon Vino

I've seen lots of people sketching in blue pencil, and was wondering if there was any particular advantage? Or is it more a stylstic thing?

Guest Eddie12
I've seen lots of people sketching in blue pencil, and was wondering if there was any particular advantage? Or is it more a stylstic thing?

The blue sketches you've seen are most likely done with prismacolor verithins, which are wax based (I think) and so they don't smudge and you can get a lot of contrast out of them (like a softish graphite pencil but without the messy smudgyness ruining your page).

Indigo blue is usually a staple design color for a few reasons:

It's a much better color than pure black to build up contrast with. You can get very light blues and near-black all with the same pencil. It's also a color that they use in multiple media (Verithins, regular prismas, and markers) and they all match up nicely.

It's harder to pull the same effects off with pure black, because when you start laying down black marker it's already black. With blue or red you can build up multiple hues much better in the same color.

I reckon it also comes from when people used non-photo blue and red as their underlay colours so when scanned, the draught pencil work could be 'knocked out' leaving only the final linework.