Product Design Forums

Treasurebox
Sign in to follow this  
voodoo

Mates And Following A Path

I have pin that travels along a recess in a frame and then drops down to lock in to place.

I can add a tangent mate on the pin and channel or a distance mate, so it looks like the pin is travelling down the channel in a staight line.

But how can I get the pin to fall down the recesses into lock position?

Here is a pic

post-3631-1275232569.png

any help guys?

voodoochile: mates are "theoretical" in that they add constraints to limit a certain movement. With that said, some of what you want to do is a current limitation....BUT... it's always a case of once you know the rules you can bend them. :P

The sketch geometry you have that make up the grooves that the pin would drop into has to kind of "change" if you will. From you've shown in the pic, using a CAM mate would allow you to "achieve" the result desired. Keep in mind that the CAM mate would only be for one slot because the slot comes back out and getting the pin to follow the full path....not so much.

Your sketch geometry needs to be switched from the two tangent arcs to a fit spline. This will allow for the pin to move along path. Again, this would really only work for one slot.

If you want "real time" drop in" movement, then you would have to use "physical dynamics" and that would be a bit much depending on your computer, number of mates, and few other factors that could get tax the program.

Hope this helps, if not, post the file.

Pieces...

I have pin that travels along a recess in a frame and then drops down to lock in to place.

I can add a tangent mate on the pin and channel or a distance mate, so it looks like the pin is travelling down the channel in a staight line.

But how can I get the pin to fall down the recesses into lock position?

Here is a pic

post-3631-1275232569.png

any help guys?