Product Design Forums

Treasurebox
Sign in to follow this  
Guest ID2010

Mobile Workstation

A decent mobile GPU should work fine whichever sort you choose. It sounds like you have the budget for a workstation, so I wouldn't skimp down to a gaming machine. Since you're using solidworks you'll get the Realview option and won't have to worry about any driver issues.

If you're doing so much work where you need the serious horsepower it makes more sense to bump up to a desktop workstation anyways.

I bought my desktop several years back, purely for work, but sold as a gaming machine. When I compared specs of workstations from companies such as Dell, there was nothing worth paying the premium over for me. It would have been cheaper to swap things out if needed. I've a quad core overclocked to 3.2, with good ram (expandable to 8GB) and a gaming card, which has been perfect for me running the software mentioned, and will still be used for a good few years to come. By that time laptops will have a lot more power in them so a work-capable laptop will be cheaper - I'll go that route with an extra monitor.

Money's not an issue to some but it was for me. Funny that, if ever I'm at a festival and the heavens open, those ponchos triple in price.