- - - - -

Concept Sports Cruiser

• Please log in to reply
5 replies to this topic

#1 Guest_drnewbury_*

Guest_drnewbury_*
  • Guests

Posted 24 May 2010 - 03:23 PM

While my last design is being printed on a 3d printer I am designing a boat for my final semester project.

All the sketches were done with bic crystal pens and the render was done in photoshop.
The boat's brief is for a trailerable boat that can be legally towed with the maximization of usable deck and cabin space.

I am modeling the design in catia.
Rather tough as I have had no experience with parametric surfacing tools.
Have any of you had any experience with catia's surfacing tools or have any advice on great sources of training materials?

I am contemplating purchasing these tutorials, however they do not cover the "Automotive Class A" workbench in catia and I have a feeling I may need those tools to achieve surfaces like these.

These tutorials are awesome in case anyone is looking for surfacing tutorials for catia:
http://adam.theohern...08/04/v5-sweep/

Posted Image

Posted Image

Posted Image

Posted Image

#2 Guest_lokilabs_*

Guest_lokilabs_*
  • Guests

Posted 24 May 2010 - 06:51 PM

Interesting design....just a technical question...wouldnt you want the engine compartment below the water line? the boat seems a little high out of the water which is throwing me off.

#3 Cyberdemon

Cyberdemon

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,709 posts
  • At:Motorola Solutions

Posted 24 May 2010 - 09:17 PM

Would almost want to see some dimensions because your proportions seem fairly confusing at the moment. The scale of different elements (stairs vs seat, etc) plus having that trailerable seems a bit in conflict.

#4 Guest_drnewbury_*

Guest_drnewbury_*
  • Guests

Posted 25 May 2010 - 04:46 AM

Yeah that sounds like you might be right, I have been receiving similar feedback from a number of ppl.
Every time I check my dimensions and scale things seem correct but the designs to look quite far off.

The boat is meant to be 26' (7.9m) long, 8.5' (2.5m) wide and 12' (3.6m) high.
Because it is a relatively short boat and I expect to have two sterndrives providing almost 1000kg down low I thought that I had a fair bit of flexibility with the boat's height.

Most designs I have seen have roughly 1/4th of The boat's hull in the water.
It may not be a workable design but the stern drives will be mostly below the waterline up against the transom and beneath the stairs.

I will review the scale of the designs again tonight, the seat def looks far too small, it is meant to be roughly 1/4 of the boats width, just under half the height of the space between the landing and the canopy and almost as deep as the stairs.

Thanks for the reviews!!

#5 scorpio.tn1

scorpio.tn1

Level 5

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 201 posts

Posted 25 May 2010 - 02:22 PM

Very Funkey yet, confusing design.

the topic reads "Concept Sports Cruiser Boat" yet the design looks Plump, fatish, stubby, and top heavey.
characteristics of being any thing but a sports cruiser. come to think of it, the form looks like a beached whale head.

should look at faster slimline forms like Sharks head or Dolphin. Also perhaps look at the Soles of Running shoes. as your top view drawings remind me of them. which is on the right track.

On your 2nd image on the far right. it looks pointed more slimline, Fast, SPorty. follows the form of a running shoe, i think thats good refference work with that one.

for your 3rd image, the sketch designs closer to the left hand side look more sporty, but as you progressed to the right, they become taller, fatter etc. more like a Tug Boat. Also in that 3rd image is the main large image, i think you sadi this boat might not work in real life, well i think its due to the way it sits in the water. you talked about most boats are 1/4 in the water, whats the reason behind that. when the boat is at max speed, it will sit higher in the watter like a speed boat, ridding on the plane. also the incline at the front of the boat makes it look like the boat will quickley topple over and sink.

I love the design, i just think it needs a few Tweeks and it will be awsome.
sketch up a few more and compare the two.

#6 Guest_drnewbury_*

Guest_drnewbury_*
  • Guests

Posted 26 May 2010 - 09:20 AM

LOL! beached wale :)
It has def ended up quite "chubby".

"Sports cruiser" is a little bit of a misnomer as it refers to boats that are trying to straddle that middle ground between a leisure yacht and a sports boat.
Other boats in this field do tend to lean in the yacht direction and are a little chunky but I def went overboard with the height of the boat because I was chasing more cabin & deck space.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

Sponsors: