Product Design Forums

Treasurebox
Sign in to follow this  
voodoo

2d To 3d Sketch

Is it possible to convert a 2d sketch into a 3d sketch.

The model I want to alter is a chainlink file I downloaded from solidworkscentral and it involves the crvpattern command of which I am unfamiliar.

See file:

http://www.3dcontentcentral.com/download-m...1&id=13156#

What I need is to change the 2d sketch path into a 3d sketch path. So the individual chain links follow a xyz path instead of an xy path.

Any help guys?

Guest loganu
Is it possible to convert a 2d sketch into a 3d sketch.

The model I want to alter is a chainlink file I downloaded from solidworkscentral and it involves the crvpattern command of which I am unfamiliar.

See file:

http://www.3dcontentcentral.com/download-m...1&id=13156#

What I need is to change the 2d sketch path into a 3d sketch path. So the individual chain links follow a xyz path instead of an xy path.

Any help guys?

Ummm, as far as I know, there isn't a way to turn a 2D sketch into a 3d sketch instantly, but you can take the 2d sketch and project it onto 3d surfaces. When you do that, you can start a 3d sketch, and just select the sketch lines you want in 3d and convert them to your 3d sketch. The trick is going to be setting up surfaces or planes where you want the sketches to hit.

I couldnt open the 3d file (firefox) to check it out...but... another option would be to create one chain link, and create an assembly of them by just duplicating that one over and over. Once you've got them in position/interlinked, turn on the interference option or whatever it is so that they restrict each other. When you do that, you can pull/move the chain in 3D and it will react and move like the chain naturally should, and simulations would work properly as well.

It's been a while since I've jumped into SW, but those are the two things that come into my mind. Hope it helps.