Product Design Forums

Treasurebox
Sign in to follow this  
Guest Charlotte+Lulu

Are U Familiar With Rhino 3dm Studio Design? Can You Donate Your Services?

Guest Charlotte+Lulu

Hello, I design jewelry. I have tons of ideas in my head and on paper. I want to have 5 pieces produced but the place I found requires a CAD drawing. Can you donate your services and help me make my designs come to live?

My designs are not that complex. Ex: A dog bone charm.

Thank you in advance! : )

Guest Buff
Hello, I design jewelry. I have tons of ideas in my head and on paper. I want to have 5 pieces produced but the place I found requires a CAD drawing. Can you donate your services and help me make my designs come to live?

doesn't your collage have an engineering department? Maybe the collage can help you find another collage/university where the CAD work can be done for you

Guest under-dog

I worked in jewelry for about 15 years (and still do a little). I an a bit amazed that they are looking for a CAD model and drawing. To a great extent the jewelry industry is still in the stone age when it comes to these sort of things.

I am both a designer and a model maker. Model Maker as the jewelry industry views it is a combination of: designer, sculptor, "engineer" and pattern maker. And most of the model makers are still old school as well, crafting everything by hand---> 99.9%

I have had to literally press the issue just to get other designers to email me a design rather than have me physically come pick it up. Technology is not imbedded the culture yet, like it is in some other industries. Thus my surprise in thier request. Not unheard of but ....unusual. I am used to chicken scratch on a napkin. I would faint if I ever recieved a CAD drawing to go by. However this too is only as good as the person creating it and could be....well not worthless but at least as inaccurate as chicken scratch anyways. Personally, I often take the time up front to convert the chicken scratch into a viable design for my 3D developement purposes, as a blueprint to go by for hand sculpting or a 3D or 2D CAD model to CNC with.

However more and more I see some companies and individuals heading that way. I for one. I work in other industries now and am almost completely digital(whole different world). So now when I work with jewelry companies it feels so archaic even the ones that are knocking on the technology door a bit.

This is not wholly a bad thing though. To be honest in jewelry typically the hand crafted look and feel to product is appealing and desired. I now have a small CNC mill(3 years now)I use and even with this there is some hand finishing to be done on the master models. This is also the opportinity to give it a more hand crafted feel.