Product Design Forums

Treasurebox
Sign in to follow this  
Guest lokilabs

Yacht Just For Fun

Guest lokilabs

Dont even ask why things are a certain way....I just did it because I wanted to. I dont know jack about yacht design...just for funness.

Guest lokilabs

No comments again huh? Man. This is worse than advancedboy. Maybe I should post something else.post-9741-1273668309.jpg

Guest HyPe!

I like the hull design, the sails however look a bit off. Detailing them a bit more realistic can help giving the design a better feeling.

Guest lokilabs
I like the hull design, the sails however look a bit off. Detailing them a bit more realistic can help giving the design a better feeling.

Now thats what I was looking for. Thanks HyPe! Bout time someone chimed in.

Guest HyPe!

Ever since I got here, it has never been a really busy place. Maybe because it [the site/forums] does not get enough attention.

But since I have more time to work on personal projects, it triggered my interest to start participating in the community - since my projects are not under any NDAs.

Keep us posted and you'll get your share of critique.

Guest lokilabs

again i say whats up with the comments? Do i have to post some real work to get a discussion going? Fine then here you go.post-9741-1273929015.jpg

Guest lokilabs
Nice work man, did you design the stand or only model it?

Hey thanks! I helped with all aspects of the design. From concepts up to production including these renderings.

Guest lokilabs

Thanks everyone for all of your comments. Your a great help. Maybe I should throw my perspective off and start making snide remarks about not having to do concept sketching. Would that then get some sort of response? Ill work on detailing the last yacht some more and then post again to see if I can stir up some controversy.

Guest HyPe!

You'll get a comment from me the next time I see your yacht again :)

Subscriptions are off at default (I think!), this is why often people reply on topics but fail to return because they're never notified of new replies.

hey nice work!

The yacht is kind of fun, the two pontoons merging at the back is definitely unique. Don't quite know what the dynamic effect of that would be though. I mean right now it looks like it would funnel all the water into the middle causing a lot of drag . . . i know you said this was for fun, but is there some kind relief in this area?

Aside from that the images don't really give us much to comment on. As it was mentioned the sails look kind of strange, perhaps a more natural and fabric like sail would add to the concept

I do have to agree with you though, these forums don't seem to be all that active or a least not that many people are contributing.

Nice laptop and secondary screen display BTW

Guest lokilabs
hey nice work!

The yacht is kind of fun, the two pontoons merging at the back is definitely unique. Don't quite know what the dynamic effect of that would be though. I mean right now it looks like it would funnel all the water into the middle causing a lot of drag . . . i know you said this was for fun, but is there some kind relief in this area?

Aside from that the images don't really give us much to comment on. As it was mentioned the sails look kind of strange, perhaps a more natural and fabric like sail would add to the concept

I do have to agree with you though, these forums don't seem to be all that active or a least not that many people are contributing.

Nice laptop and secondary screen display BTW

Ha ha! The yacht is reversed from your critiq. The pontoons are actually in the front and not the rear so I guess I am not as creative as you may have thought. So technically the liquid pass through would not cause the possible cavitation which may be the bi product of drag. What the design does not show is the two hulls coming together in more of a flat bottom towards the rear of the craft. This should help with stability? Ah who knows. The second yacht I will progress further but will not have sails. Thanks by the way for your comments.

umm nope, the way you explained it was also the way in which I was critiquing it.

what I was referring to was that typically with a catamaran the water is allowed to flow freely between the two pontoons, with your design it looks like the water will now be funneled towards the rear and have no choice but to be directed entirely under the back of the boat instead of being able to be partially displaced to either side of the hull like a typical boat hull design.

Anyways I really have no idea how this would effect the dynamics but the way I see it is that with any sail boat design the idea is that you want to disrupt the flow of water as little as possible?

anyways nice to see that you tackling some design stuff outside of your professional work . . . it seems that a lot of professionals loose a lot of their creative drive once they start doing this for a living cause the the last thing they want to do after a long day of working on client projects is do more design work . . .

keep up the good work!