Product Design Forums

Treasurebox
Sign in to follow this  
advancedboy

My Principles Of Car Design.

Here are the following principles, that I will try to observe more in future. These principles don`t come from books or anything, but this is how I see car design since my childhood:)) even if none of them really exist in the real world, this is how I see it, and I will work on it more, and harder.:)

1. principle of continuity. Lines tend to continue, even if they are disrupted by windows , wheel arches or stampings and facets.

2.Paralelness. lines tend to go paralel to each other, irregardless of their size of function.

3. Symmety to an imagined axis. Lines tend to have a mirror effect, being symmetrical to each other. Symmetry can be at any angle or disposition.

4.90 degree tendency. lines tend to reach straight line when meeting at abrupt angles.

5. External curves don`t tolerate less than 90 degree angle when facets break outward.(For example- hood line and the hood slope down.)

Gravitational lensing. Objects of mass tend to distort the shape of nearby object finding an equilibrium of shape between the both.

6.Visual mass. Objects, especially cars tend to have visual mass, which itself tends to find definite proprtions to the rest of the object.

7. Slope of mass. Every car tends to be sloping either forward or backward. it can be compared to a wave in ocean - it is the direction towards which the tension is released.

8.Area of tranquility. An area in a car where no significant design curvature or bending takes place. It is for your eyes to relax.

9. External surfaces( bulge outwards) always tolerate bigger curvatures than negative curvatures( bulge inwards).

10.Front overhang versus rear overhang. Front overhang as compared to trear should be in vicinity 1 to 3 or 3 to 1, but not more.

11. wheel arch width and disposition.You should find equilibrium by being able to put between 2,5 to 3,5 widths of tyres between rear and front tyres( sideview). It doesn`t apply to heavy machinery.

12.Main object of interest. There should be a central , the most massive element of design, which your eyes can get focused on.

13. Door height versus window height. The height of window area at the tallest point shouldn`t be less than one fourth of total height of the door.

14. The principle of moderate waving( not developed yet).

15. principle of practicality. All cars are designed accordingly to human body functions and abilities, such as door handle size is dependent on the power applicable to open them, to the shape of hand,average height of a person etc; Door size is designed so that a person can enter it, etc.

16. The principle of tension reliever( not developed yet).

Any of your ideas?

Sorry that I didn`t reply earlier. The blue line shows the window, door height ratio. I use it just to verify if it is within limits. Red lines show continuity, paralelness, or also 90 degree tendency. green lines show if the wheelbase is within limits. You can see these principles on cars on street as well. Or it just me:))))

About the principle number 14. I was thinking about it, and observed many objects as well. This is my take on it- The longer a line the more moderately it waves. The shorter a line the more drastic curvature it tolerates without breaking. longer lines are more fragile, and break at slighter bending than short ones. I might be wrong, but I will observe this principle when sketching next doodles.

post-28725-1273774812.jpg