Product Design Forums

Treasurebox
Sign in to follow this  
Guest Steppenwolf1980

"Audi for the Generation@"

Guest Steppenwolf1980

Hi guys!

Well, I thought about posting one of my finished projects, too... don't want to be missed out :D

This was done in 6th grade during my industrial design course at my university (FH-Joanneum, Graz). I have to admit that this was a team project - 4 people, I did the exterior, 2 did the interior and one the interface design. We were officially guided by Audi designers (well, 4 of them are graduates of our school, so this wasn't the point anyway) and the briefing was about like this: Design a car for about 2010-2015 for the younger generation - those kids who now grow up with mobile phone, notebooks, internet and so on. Just the "Generation @" (i don't know why they call it like this, but who cares :).

We decided to create a 2+2 seater buggy for southern areas like Australia, California, Spain and so on. It shall underline Audi's strength in technology and lightweight car manufacturing. The car is powered by a 4 cylinder diesel with 2 level turbo, producing about 120 hp while consuming ~6 ltr/100 km. The "Sol" has neither a roof, nor a bottom. Front passengers sit on saddle like seats, instead of safety belts we attached bars to get the feeling of a rollercoaster. It's much more fun to ride over sand dunes on seats like that. In the rear there are 2 trunks you can open to emergency seats, so two more people can join your ride for shorter distances. Both the seats and the trunks can be easily removed and replaced - for example, you could insert a bike or surfboard rack instead of these trunks. The "Sol" is steered with a joystick and an additional device. You can change those joysticks between the left and right seat and you can even take it with you when leaving the car - so it's easier for narrow parking lots (because you can park your car while standing on the sidewalk) or you prevent it from being stolen. In case of emergency the roll over bar slides up and your seats down.

Comments are wellcome :D

post-4-1115381002.jpg

Guest robulation

very nice indeedy!

Well, I gotta say my favourite bit is the way there is one swooping bar that runs from the bonnet through to the back seats...it gives it a really solid construction.

well done though, you obviously worked very hard.

what materials is it made from? (both the actual car and the model)

regards, Rob.

Guest Steppenwolf1980

Thanks for your nice comments :D

Rob: Well, the actual car is conceived to be mostly out of aluminium - the material Audi is famous for and very experienced. The main frame bar goes is like a loop going from behind the front bumper upwards (stylizing the old/new big Audi radiator), then back to the windshield and dives into the interior as the middle console. It runs straigt back to the rear bumper, giving a frame for the seats, trunks and additional racks to mount on. At the end of the car it turns towards the bottom and goes back to the front.

The interior is mostly out of neoprene or some kind of gore tex material, combined with aluminium and ASA (Acrylnitril) - that's a more resistent version of ABS plastic.

The model (1:5 scale): We started to clay the orange body - it was meant to look like a cloth dropped down over the "constructive" part, the chassis. Then we laminated it and built the rest of the car out of hard foam. The rims and some interior parts were deep-drawn and painted. The rest of the model is epoxy raisin and paint B)

Guest Wally

Some nice design ideas, but for me it doesn't look too "audi-ish"; a few more sobre colours, perhaps, simplification of panelling? That's just my opiniont anyway, good job!

Guest Napman

That's a really good design... i like the 4x4-touch of the vehicle.

The colours are great, and it looks really new... Even the tires are great. I would like them on my car :P

In what program did you render the first one? It looks incredibly real! Good job... i'd like to see more of your work!

Gratz

Guest DreaM

well, i can see a lot of effort in this project, ( also my favourite type of wheels :ph34r: )

the design is good, i mean cute and yet technological which seems to fit the brief that you guys had.well done until here. The only thing that creates a question is the front. For me it doesn't look strong enough, it lacks a bit of character compared to the other part of the car, and yeah the audi style is missing. But who cares ? it looks pro- and reminds me of RCA projects.... Congrats again

cheers :P

Guest Steppenwolf1980

Hehehehe... hey guys, thanks for comments :D

@Napman: The first one might look so realistic because it's a picture of the real 1:5 model ;)

@DreaM: Because of your post I see that you really do know what you're talking about :D I agree with you, although I designed it myself *lol* Well, honestly, this was my 6th term project. If I did it again, the front would look different. But hey, we all grow with our work, so let's don't worry about past projects, especially from our time of education. By the way: My single mark for the exterior was 1,5 (in Austria we have a 5 mark system - 1 is best, 5 is worst). The Audi guys said the same thing as you now. They like the exterior a lot, but the front could have been more explosive, like the rear already does.

Guest venom_design

hey,

very very nice!! it allmost look like you first made the model and then the drawings!!! Just like you drawed it while you where looking at the model;-)

Guest R_ADesigns

very nice. im a big fan of audi, and great design is there kinda thing!