Product Design Forums

Treasurebox
Sign in to follow this  
advancedboy

Gizmo Rendering Section

This is a phone concept for Motorola. You can push both parts together and the screen will disappear. The upper red ring shows battery level, the lower ring shows memory available.I will post a bit later a drawing and explanations.

post-28725-1272309588.jpg

This is the original ballpoint sketch. My initial idea was to name this phone Tora, as it reminds me the scrolls of Tora, the Bible. But then I reconsidered it, as it might maybe hurt someone. I forgot to mention the scroll function is done like an inverted mouse, the sensor sends a signal from the scroll button groove, and by moving your finger you scroll phone data. hope it isn`t too ugly:)

post-28725-1272226017.jpg

Guest Taro

pretty cool, i would say your most successful rendering up to date.

Just one thing for the rendering, the screen/monitor of a phone is always going to have a sharper reflection.

I think the battery level thing is definately good, but the memory remaining isn't that important, and almost seem like a waste of battery life.

So this is basically based on the whole theory of how a digital monitor can actually bend, therefore, taking up almost no space.

Just a reminder, our world right now is definately heading towards a pure touch screen/3d effect technology era, so why would having buttons benefit the users?

More importantly - why would having 7 unlabeled buttons be to it's advantage?

If you gave this to a user and they picked it up, do you think they would have any understanding of what it was or how those keys would function?

I chose buttons instead of touch screen for a simple reason- touchscreens get greasy, and then constantly cleaning them they become scratched. The functions of buttons get illuminated on screen. Or if that is too irkksome I can add pictograms to the buttons.Anyway, thanks for kind words:)

I chose buttons instead of touch screen for a simple reason- touchscreens get greasy, and then constantly cleaning them they become scratched. The functions of buttons get illuminated on screen. Or if that is too irkksome I can add pictograms to the buttons.Anyway, thanks for kind words:)

But why 7?

If the UI gets shown on the screen then thats fine, but how would I dial a phone number? I can't use the buttons because then I would need 10 for each digit, so do I still dial a phone # on the screen?

It seems fine as a sculptural object but in the case of phones or any other product it's much more then just the sculptural qualities - it's about a user and the user experience.

My point is: if you're going to make design judgements that impact the form you need to think of how that could play into the whole design, and does it make sense.

Timex Mp3 Playa/wristwatch. In the works( under construction, that is)..

Cyberdemon, the numbers from 0-9 can be placed on 7 buttons, because you can push one button on left or right side. Click. Click. It would take me a lot of time to type all the numbers and then do perspective correction for each number, because I can not do it on sketch pro, I have to do it in another program, and then drag it to Sketchie:)

post-28725-1272905500.jpg

the phone is bizarre and looks like a 1930s science fiction spaceship concept. the watch thingy is not even worth commenting on.

my colleague asked that you take a picture of yourself looking at the camera.

Boeing 7Nein7 Cargonaut. Based on a sketch I posted somewhere here some months ago. the engines are configured this way , because the plane is gargantuan, and this way it creates less stress on wings, because engines are located closer to the fuselage. it is 86 meters long. gross takeoff weight- 670 tons. Payload- 290tons.

The rear rudder is created like this for a purpose. because of huge weight it takes exceptional steering input. When both rudders are turned one way, the airplane can turn more effectively, because the air is trapped between vertical fins/rudder. When both fins are turned inwards, the airplane can brake more effectively. The rudder is designed a way, when the rudders are turned inwards and close the gap for air , as you can see the rudders are slanted, and it allows the air push the rudder yet pass it over it. It will push the nose of the airplane upwards . The area of drag on the wings will also increase, the speed decrease and airplane will reduce speed effectively. Both rudders have seperate back up systems, so even if one rudder fails, the airplane can be steered with one that is left.

post-28725-1274561939.jpg

Guest tarngerine

FYI touchscreens dont get greasy anymore. For someone who talks about technology/engineering and acts like he knows everything, you should know about the oleophobic screens.

http://gizmodo.com/5302097/giz-bill-nye-ex...screen/gallery/

also if you type out the numbers in one text box and photoshop perspective that one text box, that takes you about 2 minutes (it should).

i dont get why you like to talk about this engineery stuff when your sketches/presentation don't back it up. you say it does this, it does that, but you never show it. where's the air flow side views, wheres the diagrams of the rudders moving? all i see are words.

and making people click twice for 0 and 9 is a terrible UI choice.

797 passenger version. Under consideration. well, if you want I could post some ballpoint sketches on how the rudders /vertical stabilizers would work. I guess I will rework slightly some details on the plane, like the shape of engine attachments etc. I don`t act like I know everything. It is you who wants to make me look like acting that way... Anyway< i just post some of the ideas I have that is it. :))))

post-28725-1274607177.jpg