Product Design Forums
Sign in to follow this  
Guest WMonkey

Problems With Bamboo

Guest WMonkey

I need advice. I'm currently doing a project to finish college, a desk for school. I have decided to focus on environmentally friendly materials and I love the idea of using bamboo as primary material. The surface would be approximately 19mm thick.

The problem is that, the internet can't find reliable mechanical properties information or prices, each page gives me very different data. Apart from that all I see out an exorbitant price. This problem makes all the advantages of bamboo will be lost when they can't compete in the market for its high cost.

My question is whether anyone has worked with this material or are aware of actual and real costs per m2 or panels. I'm interested in any information or experience you have with any kind, does not matter whether solid or plywood.

Thank you very much and and sorry for my English!

Guest Camerlengo

I suggest you find a number of manufacturers/suppliers and get in touch with them directly.

They will be able to give you information about pricing and properties.

Just make them interested by showing that you are committed to your project and you want to invest in the manufacturing of a large batch in the near future. Ideally you need an investor, someone who trusts you and sees the potential in your work.

Good luck!

I need advice. I'm currently doing a project to finish college, a desk for school. I have decided to focus on environmentally friendly materials and I love the idea of using bamboo as primary material. The surface would be approximately 19mm thick.

The problem is that, the internet can't find reliable mechanical properties information or prices, each page gives me very different data. Apart from that all I see out an exorbitant price. This problem makes all the advantages of bamboo will be lost when they can't compete in the market for its high cost.

My question is whether anyone has worked with this material or are aware of actual and real costs per m2 or panels. I'm interested in any information or experience you have with any kind, does not matter whether solid or plywood.

Thank you very much and and sorry for my English!

Guest designdarl11

Well you're probably already finished with school, so I hope it went well. But in case you're not, here's my two cents. The only experience I've had with bamboo has been in flooring. It's usually reasonably priced in that form. I'm not sure if that carries over to the raw material but I imagine it would. You might try contacting a bamboo flooring manufacturer and asking them. I'd check out the Sweets Network, you might find some manufacturer information there.