Product Design Forums

Treasurebox
Sign in to follow this  
Guest Runiuc

Replace The Shift Button On The Keybord

Guest Runiuc

Hi,

I just got a thought while surfing around at the forum. I asked myself if there are any funktion (anywhere) that I could replace with something better. Better in a user point of view.

Why dont replace the shift button on your keybord, with some functions replacing the litte move of your finger ^_^

My idea goes like this:

For capital letter: Press your button (ie "H") and while you still keep this pressed, press the next button "i" to get "Hi". What constrols the caps is that you input a new command while still keeping the first button pressed. This is the shift-function.

If you dont want a cap letter you just type as normal.

This could mean some trouble though... but I had to post this to see what thought you other have on this :)

/Christian

What you just said goes against the basic fundamentals of proper typing.

which_fingers.gif

Your hands are designed to sit on a set number of "home" keys. So for example if I want to type the word "French", the same finger I am now using to hold down "F" in your scheme can't go to "R" like it normally does, so I would have to use another finger, which if you type like me is rather awkward and unpleasant (I now have to squeeze my index finger out of the way so my middle finger can hit R).

If I was going to replace something on the keyboard it would be Scroll lock, and that's about it.

Guest Karl Baxter

It is an interesting idea, but Cyberdemon is right. Also, what about A and I? and IOU, and I CAN'T UNDERSTAND.

Guest Bowl of Soup
It is an interesting idea, but Cyberdemon is right. Also, what about A and I? and IOU, and I CAN'T UNDERSTAND.

I like your idea of replacing the shift key, as per above maybe not the way you propose, but a good idea nonetheless.

Guest Runiuc

Yea, I got your point and agree ^_^

For a second I thought it might be a good idea, but I see the problems.

But still, is i.e the shift button the ultimate solution to this?

Thanks for your replies anyway!

/Christian

I feel like this is one of those cases where the simplest solution is probably the most effective. There are so many other functional uses of shift I'm not sure why you would want to get rid of it, and given how fast people can type With The Shift Key it's hard to believe that any other combination would be faster.

There have still been some elegant solutions in typing lately though, my favorite is the iPhones touch and hold to display extended characters like e->é

Guest nicanor

There are so many flaws with the current keyboard layout, which was designed to actually slow down the user from typing so the typewriter can keep up by avoiding its arms from crashing into one another. Yes, designed to reduce typing speed. There has been many trials in changing the format to an easier and faster layout, but the market just doesn't want to change. Unfortunately this may be one product that the market just don't want improvements??

I like the idea though, simple. A simple software program should be able to mimic the command gesture.

Guest Runiuc

Interesting background nicanor.

When thinking of playing computer games, it takes just a couple of hours to get very used to new controls, why would it be so hard to replace the shift button, or another button?

Maybe its too big market that no company wants to put time and money in it, the risk of being a big fail is to big?

Interesting background nicanor.

When thinking of playing computer games, it takes just a couple of hours to get very used to new controls, why would it be so hard to replace the shift button, or another button?

Maybe its too big market that no company wants to put time and money in it, the risk of being a big fail is to big?

As was mentioned, the QWERTY layout was a development from the typewriter days to slow people down. There are other optimized layouts that were meant to be more of an improvement in ergonomics, but they all still use the principal shift function.

I think the issue you're running into is that you're not designing to solve a problem. If there is a specific use case that says "Hey user X needs to enter multiple shifted states" then maybe changing the paradigm would work.

The video game example is a poor one - 1 only a small % of people who type play video games, and if you look at the history of video games almost all of the controls are still the same to this day. Just look at the "WASD" layout used in almost every PC shooter. Someone might be able to say "well using RDFG is better" but once that knowledge was set up, no one would want to change because the alternative does not provide a better solution, just a different one.

You need to step to the basics in any design solution and identify what the PROBLEM is. If you can show that your solution solves the problem (is having too many keys on a keyboard a problem? Why get rid of shift and not Control, or Windows, or Alt, or Tab, or the application button?). Otherwise it's just design for designs sake.

Guest Runiuc

I agree with you Cyberdemon with the basics of design, but I think this is part of the "fundamentals" as well, to question things, even if they works well and look good. Sometimes we are very conservative and just take certain design for granted, these cases are interesting to dig in ;)

With gamers my point was that I think its absolutley possible to implement new ways of doing things - it was just an example of the ability to adapt new rutines :). I know the "WASD" is a very common layout. I can only refer to myself when I was a kid and got over new games, the control layout wasn't always the same, but you learned new layouts quite fast. I just say the hope for a change is there :)

What is the problem, well I ask myself that too and Im not sure there is :) This was a spontanious idea I got, and with everything else there use to be other ways, and very often, better ways of doing things.

The problem I have is that I get pain in my fingers after a while when Im writing, imagine a pure writer keyboard that is optimized to only write with, without bending your fingers in pain. Another spontanious idea is that the most common used buttons should be located near your thumb or ie your forefinger since these are effective to use and you dont cover the buttons with your hands.

Lets just take the shift button as an example, and look at the usage: We want to type letters in both lower and upper case. How to solve this? For now I surrender, I cant see why to remove the shift button :S

If you get pain consider switching to an ergonomic/split keyboard. I did it about 15 years ago and have never gone back. A bent keyboard signifigantly reduces strain on your wrists and hands.

Also if you're interest look into Dvorak keyboards. The Dvorak layout looks at the whole keyboard from a finger travel and usage perspective and optimizes it much better than QWERTY, but it was just too engrained in society to be easily displaced.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Dvorak_Simplified_Keyboard

@cyberdemon Yes, as part of our ergonomics module i had a look at Dvorak and even changed my layout to give it a try. but it was really hard to type as qwerty has already been burned into my brain. At the end of the day for people like us who use dont use the keyboard for typing huge amounts of text i don't think it really matters Dvorak or qwerty. but thats beside the point being discussed. there was also a black keyboard with no alphabets printed and the spring in each key had a different pressure. yes, here it is http://www.daskeyboard.com/

Guest CricketAustralia7

With regards to the Qwerty layout, I think that I saw a laser keyboard somewhere that allows you to change the positions of the letters. I guess they don't want to change the layout on all keyboards because its standard and most of us are used to typing quickly with the current layout.