Which would you go for?  

29 members have voted

1. 1. Please select one:

• Pro Engineer
    • Solidworks
    • Either, they are pretty much the same

Guest spadez

Hi,

This has been bugging me for a while. I grew up using Pro Desktop, and then moved onto Pro Engineer at university. Ive always found it a fairly good program to use. However, now-a-days everyone is talking about Solidworks, and ive had several arguments at work when people say "make it in Solidworks, its so much better than ProE".

If money was no object, which do you think is the better CAD software? What I mean by this is, not so much "which are you better at" but "which lends itself to faster, better end results?". This is taking into account the newest solidworks and the newest ProE WF5.

Is there enough difference to even bother worrying about which one to use?

Guest simpo
Hi,

This has been bugging me for a while. I grew up using Pro Desktop, and then moved onto Pro Engineer at university. Ive always found it a fairly good program to use. However, now-a-days everyone is talking about Solidworks, and ive had several arguments at work when people say "make it in Solidworks, its so much better than ProE".

If money was no object, which do you think is the better CAD software? What I mean by this is, not so much "which are you better at" but "which lends itself to faster, better end results?". This is taking into account the newest solidworks and the newest ProE WF5.

Pro-E for me. Voted.

I'm not a believer that you can compare software tools, or any tools for that matter, when you say "money is no object".

Looking at Solidworks and Pro, they are very similar but also have their differences. The main thing to me is, Solidworks has better fundamentals and surfacing than Pro does except if you are willing to afford Pro's ISDX module, then I would expect Pro has an advantage (I have never used it myself but hear it is good). But, that will cost you extra.

I believe ISDX can quickly cost you double the price you pay for Pro itself, so I guess it better be good.

Any users out here that has used ISDX?

All things added up, my vote is on Solidworks.

Guest yutyjytj
Hi,

for me both are great, hard to say which is the best one

Guest tede

You dont study at loughborough do you? Anyway... having used both.

As mentioned Pro E is a more capable product with all the bells on. Popular in the electro domestic sector. Has its own maths engine.

Solidworks is a better base product (at a comparable price you cant get surfacing in pro e), and IMO much easier to use, hence its popularity.

SW although owned by Dassasult does not share the same maths engine as Catia. Infact SW purchases an out dated parasolid engine from Siemens (NX and Solid edge). So potentially SW is the least powerful but its not aimed at such large companies and sectors.

However - my experience is that for mechanical design they all do the same thing, ultimatly the difference really depends on who is in the hot seat! SW is definatly easier to use and it has photoworks 360 which is much better than what Pro E has to offer. If your serious about surfacing you wanna get into Rhino/Alias.

That said I use SW and Rhino am now learning Alias.

Guest spadez
You dont study at loughborough do you

Nope, I'm a Brunel student.

I appreciate all your opinions and votes. It seems like the capabilities are so similar that its spilling hairs.

Guest James.iD

I study at Loughborough and wish we used Solidworks on the pure basis of its popularity which means more tutorials and resources available for it.

Sometimes when I'm searching google for an answer to a problem I feel I'm the only one who uses Pro/e by the shear lack of results.

Guest aletsix

I've been using SW forever and I know that it is much user friendly than ProE (used it too) but I am now thinking of trying Autodesk inventor, since they have integrated Autodesk Design and also Autodesk bought Moldflow which I use a lot for plastic product design. Has anyone used Inventor and have some comments to share?

Guest JD Mather
Has anyone used Inventor and have some comments to share?

I have been using Inventor and SolidWorks for 8 or 9 years and find them to be essentially the same for most stuff. These are a little dated but here are some beginner tutorials I use in class. I have not had time to update as the software has changed - so you have to experiment with newer techniques. http://home.pct.edu/~jmather/content/DSG32...e_tutorials.htm

The Alias Editor tools for Inventor will be intersting.

I have some Inventor Tooling (Moldflow additions in Inventor) that I will post when I get a chance. I find the b-side tools in Inventor to be much more intuitive than in SolidWorks - I'll post an example of that when I get a chance. I have had some real problems with good run-off surfaces in SWx - perhaps someone can offer suggestions when I post the examples when I get back to the office.

Guest solidworm

from my experience ProE works smoother, and requires less resources. i call it "rhino" of parametric cad. solidworks is resource hungry , i call it "GE90". mount a couple of airfoils on your PC, fire up solidworks, simply move your mouse over the graphics area, and your PC fans generate enough thrust to take you to skies. :whoo:

Solidworm: let's take that with a grain of salt shall we. I have built a model in Pro/E that brings it to a scream halt and that was before I broke a sweat.

If you're not running a 64bit Processor, Quad 8 cores, with at least 4-8gigs of RAM, then your fooling yourself a lot more than you think. Both programs are hungry for processing power, so it's not like Pro "never" suffers from the same issues.

And speaking of Parametrics and Rhino, it's official. Rhino has a new add in, Not Grass Hopper, right now to download and have full parametrics over your model...

Now put that in your pipe and Smoke it..... :thumbsup: