Product Design Forums

Treasurebox
Sign in to follow this  
Guest keane1a

Aston Martin Db9 Using Solidworks 2009

Guest keane1a

Hi guys, I am very new to car designing(and this forum) since I am just a 2nd year chemical engineering student. I am interested in Surface modeling using Solid Work. This is my attempted at trying to model a DB9 using Solidwork 2009 (and my first at surface modelling). Could you guy give me your opinion or tip how to fix up the model. Cause honestly it look like there are many "dent" in my model and I have no idea how to fix it.

post-36907-1269463609.jpg

post-36907-1269463773.jpg

post-36907-1269463783.jpg

Guest tekbot

nice work. keep going.. It will take alot to fix the dents but you definitely can explore proportions and dynamic shapes.

be sure to check out the surface modelers out there. way easier to get rid of the dents and will get you further in Auto design.

are you using blue prints or orthographic references?

Guest keane1a
nice work. keep going.. It will take alot to fix the dents but you definitely can explore proportions and dynamic shapes.

be sure to check out the surface modelers out there. way easier to get rid of the dents and will get you further in Auto design.

are you using blue prints or orthographic references?

I used blueprints references. I have a lot to learn in surface modelling since this is my first model. Thanks for your comment man

I can't remember is version 2009 had the "boundary surface" tool, but that and the "fill surface" tool are the tools you need to use to build the car with, cause they are the only ones that can do curvature continuity.

The worst thing is that curvature continuity on splines is a very late addition as well, so support is very basic, which means that behavior currently quite unpredictable and difficult to control.

If you want to do it properly, you also need to use the zebra curvature display mode to check the direction and flow of your highlights, and I'm also not sure if the detail quality slider for that was available in 2009, because the default settings are far too poor to check anything with (I don't think the image quality in the document settings affected the zebra stripes).

I've built a few vehicles myself with Solidworks and it's not fun.