Product Design Forums

Treasurebox
Sign in to follow this  
Guest NelsonDesign

Nelsondaily

Guest NelsonDesign

I know, not very original but I am really enjoying Mason's sketch-a-day thread and all of the feedback that he is getting.

I sketch almost every day, and more than one sketch. But on this thread, I will be showing a random sketch of mine every day.

Nothing for today but I was wondering if someone would like to suggest a challenge for me, either some type of vehicle or product that you would like to see me do for tomorrow?

Thanks a lot everyone, and be sure to keep in touch!

Guest Gringoire

I'd have a suggestion. Try to draw an old car (more like box-shaped) and keep the construction lines visible (if you draw with pencil) and in contrast a concept from your mind (this is for creativity) . It would be interesting to see perspective and creativity in their pure shape.

Guest NelsonDesign

Well here's an old timer with construction lines.

2 things....

I extremely rarely use pencil, on this one I did just so you guys see the construction lines better.

It also scanned very terribly, and it's a very small sketch.

But, I hope you guys see the point in this sketch...

post-30452-1268027142.jpg

Guest Taro

well, what I love:

1. your construction, and your perspective.

what I don't like:

1. how your construction has to be pencil, which probably means you don't have that good of a control of a pen yet.

2. lack of indication of detail.

3. lack of proper line value

4. feels incomplete

try again

Whoa Taro, come on man, be nice!

You can say the same thing in two different ways, just by wording it differently.

First off, I love how you really took what Gringoire said instead of doing your own thing. It shows that you are actually listening, which is always a good thing! I wish the drawing was a little bigger though. Also, be careful with which lines you add emphasis too. The back wheel is popping out too much and is actually confusing the perspective for me. Aside from that, I think its a great exercise for doing construction lines and showing off perspective. Your next step would be to try adding the details to make it look more like a finished car.

Guest Taro

haha i apologize, school is really getting to me lol.

i dont know if this can make up for it, but that car is probably 5x better than a car i can draw : )

Guest Gringoire

Right, so overall perspective is quite good. Yeah maybe few mistakes here and there but, overall, the structure looks good from that angle and it's proportioned, it's clean and it also has construction lines. I'd say that you did some research in old school cars (grandpa school) or perhaps your hand goes well on simple shapes. So it has to be something from which you can develop other interesting stuff. But how? Most of today's automobiles look pretty complex-shaped... but can we predict future? Why not look at that grandpa Ford you sketched and make a concept car using some old school stuff since you understand simplicity... just an idea... By the way, Good Job!

Guest NelsonDesign
well, what I love:

1. your construction, and your perspective.

what I don't like:

1. how your construction has to be pencil, which probably means you don't have that good of a control of a pen yet.

2. lack of indication of detail.

3. lack of proper line value

4. feels incomplete

try again

I understand what you are saying Taro. I could've shown more detail, done it in pen, and made it feel complete, but this was really just a sketch so you could see my construction, I didn't want to distract you from that part of the drawing.

Thanks for the feedback!

Whoa Taro, come on man, be nice!

You can say the same thing in two different ways, just by wording it differently.

First off, I love how you really took what Gringoire said instead of doing your own thing. It shows that you are actually listening, which is always a good thing! I wish the drawing was a little bigger though. Also, be careful with which lines you add emphasis too. The back wheel is popping out too much and is actually confusing the perspective for me. Aside from that, I think its a great exercise for doing construction lines and showing off perspective. Your next step would be to try adding the details to make it look more like a finished car.

Haha, yep. I wasn't very happy with my line work, still glad you could see the construction!

Thanks for the comment man!

haha i apologize, school is really getting to me lol.

i dont know if this can make up for it, but that car is probably 5x better than a car i can draw : )

Lol, no need to apologize, I totally understand what you were saying, and appreciate the hard critique you gave me.

Right, so overall perspective is quite good. Yeah maybe few mistakes here and there but, overall, the structure looks good from that angle and it's proportioned, it's clean and it also has construction lines. I'd say that you did some research in old school cars (grandpa school) or perhaps your hand goes well on simple shapes. So it has to be something from which you can develop other interesting stuff. But how? Most of today's automobiles look pretty complex-shaped... but can we predict future? Why not look at that grandpa Ford you sketched and make a concept car using some old school stuff since you understand simplicity... just an idea... By the way, Good Job!

Thanks a lot for the feedback Gringoire! I appreciate the critique. I will keep in mind your suggestions

Alright guys, for tonight, I will probably sketch up some random concepts from my head, and see what appears.

Guest NelsonDesign

Alright, here's tonight's sketch. Well actually 3, but the more the merrier.

The first is a 4 door sports sedan. Second is an Alfa Romeo convertible, which I felt came out pretty well, and the third is quite embarrassing, it is a car that was inspired by 40's American autos, yet it is plagued by terrible perspective.

I think I might try to take photos from now on, because this scanner really does a terrible job of showing these sketches accurately. They are so much nicer in real life

Enjoy...

post-30452-1268103949.jpg

Dont forget what you did before, when you do a new sketch. Make sure you connect and show everything you learned in each sketch you put up.

The reason is because, the newest sketch doesnt have any of the good things you did in the old school car. What happened to all that great construction lines you did and good perspective? It's like you forgot everything and ignored what you did and learned in the first sketch.

I want you to keep doing simple cars and old school cars actually. Dont jump from old school car, to this super modern sketch you just put up. Keep on the retro car and try working with it first. And then do some concept designs using the retro car structure.

Guest NelsonDesign
Dont forget what you did before, when you do a new sketch. Make sure you connect and show everything you learned in each sketch you put up.

The reason is because, the newest sketch doesnt have any of the good things you did in the old school car. What happened to all that great construction lines you did and good perspective? It's like you forgot everything and ignored what you did and learned in the first sketch.

I want you to keep doing simple cars and old school cars actually. Dont jump from old school car, to this super modern sketch you just put up. Keep on the retro car and try working with it first. And then do some concept designs using the retro car structure.

Thanks for the quick feedback. You helped me out more than you know.

Here's the thing, these new ones were quick sketches and I don't usually do the construction on these type of sketches.

But you just taught me that I must do construction and think more about perspective on every single sketch, no matter what type of sketch it is. This will help me a lot.

Thanks a lot

Guest Gringoire

Nothing much to add here since sketchyd did point out what's most important and gave you some important hints. Take your time while sketching. I had this excuse with "quick sketches" when I forgot something or didn't pay enough attention to some details and it didn't work. It's more about quality now since you showed us that you can do quantity.

Guest NelsonDesign

No sketch to put up tonight, but tonight I will still sketch something, and put it up tomorrow.

I am going to draw as many quality sketches as I can from as many angles as I can find of one car. This will be done in a certain period of time, maybe 30 mins. to an hour.

I'll make sure to pay extra attention to the perspective and construction of the sketches.

Guest NelsonDesign

Okay, so I picked a 45 minute time to try and draw the Pininfarina B0 in as many angles as I could find.

The first sketch did not turn out well (top-left corner), the second sketch turned out OK for how tricky of a perspective it was. But I think the bottom sketch came out best overall.

Critique is always awesome =D

post-30452-1268266507.jpg

Guest Taro

again, complete the sketches, your drawing style looks fairly clean and accurate to me, so it looks really odd right now that the sketches look incomplete.

proper weight~