Product Design Forums

Treasurebox
Sign in to follow this  
Guest montecarlos

Need Urgent 3ds Max Help

Guest yutyjytj
I have this issue with my render, (it's been imported from solidworks via .STL files).

http://img37.imageshack.us/img37/4341/messdup.jpg

You can see like, the triangles / wireframe in the reflection like there's something messed up....

Got any ideas how to get around it / fix it??

i have a solution for u, switch to modo render the best rendering tool out there, forget v ray and maxwell

Guest mare10

Is going to be difficult to correct such thing..

I would ask for an IGES file. i usually gain good result from Pro-e to 3Dmax using IGES or STEP

It appears to me to be a smoothing problem, likely caused by bad translation of vertex normals.

1. Right-click on your object and convert it to an editable poly

2. Go to your modify panel and choose polygons

3. Box select over everything so all the polygons are selected

4. In the polygon roll-out, scroll down until you find smoothing groups

5. There should be a button to delete or remove any smoothing

6. Then smooth it with the default value of 45 which should work out

Sorry I can't be more specific, I'm not at a seat of Max right now - but if you're a little comfy with Max you should be fine :)

Guest montecarlos
It appears to me to be a smoothing problem, likely caused by bad translation of vertex normals.

1. Right-click on your object and convert it to an editable poly

2. Go to your modify panel and choose polygons

3. Box select over everything so all the polygons are selected

4. In the polygon roll-out, scroll down until you find smoothing groups

5. There should be a button to delete or remove any smoothing

6. Then smooth it with the default value of 45 which should work out

Sorry I can't be more specific, I'm not at a seat of Max right now - but if you're a little comfy with Max you should be fine :)

yeah, I have smoothed it. it does help to an extent but in some cases it remains the same.

I had the same problem. It had nothing to do with inverted normals but ended up being multiple copies brought into the Max scene on top of one another where the triangular parts of the render were parts of an underlying surface. Select and move, see if there's one underneath.

This is a problem a lot of apps have when dealing with CAD data that doesn't have the normals correct.

Frankly I'm not sure if theres a way to fix it. My friends in the animation industry complain about this all the time and it's the reason they usually wind up rebuilding CAD data themselves.

Do you have the ability to try translating the original data through another application?

Guest montecarlos

Well, I have lowered the quality of the STL files being imported.... I have tried importing it into proengineer and saving it as a obj/IGES and no luyck there. Basically whateverI try isn't working so I have having to use a low poly model and then auto smooth it, which hasn't got amazing results but it's the closest i have managed to get it so that it is not completely messed up.

edit : scrap that I just worked it out the problem was that somehow half of the normals wqhere flipped the opposite way meaning one part was shiney and the other was not, so I selected the half which was wrong and flippedf it back to the correct way and wallah! it worked :)

If your doing it in SW why not just use photoview 360?

Because they're awful at rendering?

Well...it depends. You get some great preset scenes and materials, you don't have to worry about unwrapping or setting up lights. It can deliver great results. But it it doesn't then you do not have many options to tweak, not even simple things like the brightness of the lighting.

There are supposed to be more controls (but while still keeping it intuitive) in Solidworks 2011 later this fall.

Here is an example of a render I made which was easy to setup, took about an hour to render, and with practically no post in PS: http://www.kevindesmet.com/extrusion_mould.jpg