Need Some Feedback From You!

• Please log in to reply
11 replies to this topic

#1 Guest_jdmdesign_*

Guest_jdmdesign_*
  • Guests

Posted 25 February 2010 - 06:24 AM

Hello to all!

I am recent grad looking for advice and criticism toward my portfolio. I am currently going to start applying to jobs in the next few days and figured it would be a great idea to get some solid feedback. I plan on sending my stuff via email in a PDF format so any tips will be greatly appreciated!

PLEASE tell me anything you want.. I promise you wont hurt my feelings ;) harsh feedback sometimes can be the best feedback.

find it here:
http://www.coroflot...._..._id=196026

#2 Cyberdemon

Cyberdemon

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,709 posts
  • At:Motorola Solutions

Posted 25 February 2010 - 10:26 PM

First off, I would consolodate your work into your best pieces. There are several projects right off the bat that just come off as rather weak - the car stuff, the PDA, the wood block - none of those tell me much about your process.

It also may be harsh to say this but I would find where your projects that really highlight the user, and how you arrived at your final solution. Right now a lot of the work comes off as "we had a brief to redesign object X. So I drew some designs, found one I liked, and made a model of it". I really don't see a lot of creative thinking in the work or how it developed, at least not how it's currently presented.

It would be great if you could choose a few projects to highlight this and really tell a compelling story about the design. If you don't feel like there is that story to tell I would try really hard to rework some of the projects in a way that thinks about the big picture - What is the PROBLEM - and why does your SOLUTION fit the USER. I see some bits and pieces of it floating in there - but you really need to bring it to the surface.

Again - meant to be constructive, not destructive.

-Cheers

#3 Guest_jdmdesign_*

Guest_jdmdesign_*
  • Guests

Posted 26 February 2010 - 12:29 AM

@ Cyberdemon

Thank you so much. I completely understand what you mean. All of the projects were long and well in depth. I know there is definitely something that I could do to add some interest. I think explaining the problem and why I came to the solution will really help me out. thanks again for your feedback!!!

#4 Guest_jdmdesign_*

Guest_jdmdesign_*
  • Guests

Posted 26 February 2010 - 01:53 AM

Anyone else????? please I want all the feedback I can get!!!!

#5 Guest_mare10_*

Guest_mare10_*
  • Guests

Posted 28 February 2010 - 12:39 PM

Anyone else????? please I want all the feedback I can get!!!!

Hi i'm not a professional, but i really liked your works.

I probably should be the last giving advises .. but...
I think the only criticism can be the one Cyberdemon said..
take one best project and show the whole design process, in order to give the impression and underline that the product's features comes from thoughts, show they are not there simply because they have a cool shape.

anyway, again, really nice portfolio

#6 Guest_jdmdesign_*

Guest_jdmdesign_*
  • Guests

Posted 28 February 2010 - 10:57 PM

thanks mare10

I am currently updating all my pages keeping some simple ideas in mind. "explain the product without words", the good old "what why and how", and also keeping in mind the weight of a page.

#7 Guest_p waddy_*

Guest_p waddy_*
  • Guests

Posted 01 March 2010 - 10:10 PM

In my opinion the quality of your rendering/sketching is awesome and i like the layouts of your design sheets. However if you can maintain this quality to show the projects more indepth such as your research, all of the process then i think your portfolio would be a lot stronger. It almost feels as if your designs are done because you wanted to design those products, and not that there was a real need for it. I'm sure you do have legitimate background project information that from what I understand is essential for employers to see in your work.

Personally I am a big researcher in my projects as I want to make sure my design is helping people and there is a real need for it. Showing the process I find is very difficult at times without having too much text.

#8 Guest_jdmdesign_*

Guest_jdmdesign_*
  • Guests

Posted 02 March 2010 - 12:25 AM

thanks p waddy

I agree with you 100%. All of my projects were created around tons of research and testing. The thought of the ergonomics of the products, where will it go after its use, and the materials used were all just a small part of the process. I undestand what I need to change as far as explaining and showing process, the problem I am having is how to do it WITHOUT ALOT OF TEXT?

the other thing I am worried about is having to many pages for one project. Should I worry about having 6 pgs for one project?

#9 Guest_p waddy_*

Guest_p waddy_*
  • Guests

Posted 02 March 2010 - 12:57 AM

Well if I knew the answer to that question I would tell you. It is something I have been struggling with myself. I end up gathering folders full of research, which does really lead me to my final product, but you obviously cant show all of this can you? I think extracting the key pieces of information that really influenced your design would be a start. It really is hard in my opinion to show research without typing a lot of text. So sorry I can't help you on that front... let me know when you figure it out though :)

As for the amount of pages in your portfolio.... For a hard copy that you would take to an interview, I was told keeping it consistent is key so that it can flow nicely. For example if you display it as a landscape book format, you may have a brief introduction page followed by 3-4 project pages, but make it so your projects always start on the same side of the page I think. It is hard to condense big projects down to a couple of pages, but I think your better/bigger projects would be allowed an extra couple of pages. It depends how and where your portfolio is. My website layout of portfolio isnt the same as my hard copy, because it suits the website in a different way.

This is what I was told at University anyway, hope it helps

#10 Guest_Pamela5446_*

Guest_Pamela5446_*
  • Guests

Posted 04 March 2010 - 06:18 PM

Hello to all!

I am recent grad looking for advice and criticism toward my portfolio. I am currently going to start applying to jobs in the next few days and figured it would be a great idea to get some solid feedback. I plan on sending my stuff via email in a PDF format so any tips will be greatly appreciated!

PLEASE tell me anything you want.. I promise you wont hurt my feelings :) harsh feedback sometimes can be the best feedback.

find it here:

Regarding your Harley project I'm guessing you meant from clay not from day.

#11 Guest_jdmdesign_*

Guest_jdmdesign_*
  • Guests

Posted 05 March 2010 - 09:45 AM

Hello to all!

PLEASE tell me anything you want.. I promise you wont hurt my feelings :) harsh feedback sometimes can be the best feedback.

find it here:

Regarding your Harley project I'm guessing you meant from clay not from day.

double checked... it says clay.. the font and compression makes it look like that. but good eye and thanks for your feedback

#12 Guest_Colvindesign_*

Guest_Colvindesign_*
  • Guests

Posted 07 April 2010 - 03:34 PM

I have no critiques or suggestions for your portfolio, as I have no portfolio myself. However I wanted to ask you what your media is in the sketch you posted in the topic here. It appeared to be marker and ball point pen, but I would like to know the brands you like to use. I need to get back into paper sketches and want to use different media.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

Sponsors:
Android Tablet
Designer Store