Product Design Forums

Treasurebox
Sign in to follow this  
cash68

Exporting Many Illustrator Files To A Multi Page Pdf

Help. I have 50+ Illustrator files, and I need them in a multi-page PDF. The problem is Acrobat Pro does not import Illustrator files. So... I know I can export each illustrator file as a PDF or JPG, but that is a ROYAL pain in the ass. Is there a way to automate actions, like in photoshop, but for illustrator? Many thanks!!!!!

Guest odd_concept

In illustrator CS4 there is an option under File >Scripts > Save Docs As PDFs.

However you do have to open them up first...So maybe open them 10 at a time then run the script.

Hope this helps...

You're saying you want to combine them all into one document right?

I would just import them all into Indesign and then you can just save it as a multi-page document.

You could potentially bring them all into Illustrator using multiple artboards, but that's a big pain in the ass.

Guest odd_concept

If you have them on seperate PDFs it is very easy to make one big PDF out of multiple ones using Acrobat Pro. However Cyberdemon does have a point importing them into In-Design may be an easier way...

I'm assuming that you are making your portfolio. Then importing to InDesign is a good idea, since your files will be linked and updated each time you update the ai-file. You can also choose "edit original" from ID, uncheck the pages you don't want to export etc.

Actually it's for a client, and we don't have indesign here at work. Boo.

Odd concept: They are illustrator files. Not PDFs. Hence my question, on how to mass export a ton of illustrator files, INTO pdfs. Once they are pdfs I can throw them in acrobat pro.

What I wound up doing was putting all the illustrator files in a folder, then hitting "record action" and saved one as a PDF. Then I ran a batch process from within illustrator (turns out there IS one!), and turned the whole folder into PDFs. However, when you have text on top of a gradient in CS2, it leaves boxes around the text where it messes up the gradient. Then I had to reexport again from the original illustrator files to .jpg format, which then merged the layers correctly. Then these were assembled into a multi-page PDF. What a PITA.