Product Design Forums

Treasurebox
Sign in to follow this  
advancedboy

Next Generation Ford Mustang

Guest lokilabs

You know fellas I said this a long time ago and I will say it again in hopes that we drive the point home. Stop posting and trying to help Advancedboy!! I realize we strive to do that in the forum and I am all for that but in this case some tough love must be administered. If a member is not adhering to the rules and using this forum as a tool to teach as well as to learn and grow thene KICK HIM! I admit I laugh after reading many of these posts but I do it merely for entertainment purposes only. Maybe we all should, including myself start posting stuff to drown any thing advanced boy puts up. You know kind of give us more things to discuss, more important relevant topics. Just a thought...Dont kick me off the forum mr administrator.

You know fellas I said this a long time ago and I will say it again in hopes that we drive the point home. Stop posting and trying to help Advancedboy!! I realize we strive to do that in the forum and I am all for that but in this case some tough love must be administered. If a member is not adhering to the rules and using this forum as a tool to teach as well as to learn and grow thene KICK HIM! I admit I laugh after reading many of these posts but I do it merely for entertainment purposes only. Maybe we all should, including myself start posting stuff to drown any thing advanced boy puts up. You know kind of give us more things to discuss, more important relevant topics. Just a thought...Dont kick me off the forum mr administrator.

It's not that he's violating the rules of the forums, just the laws of common sense and education. But thats also the reason that most of us went to design school to learn these things.

It still gives me hope though that there are all the young kids on here who haven't even graduated high school who luckily don't share the same mentality and it shows in the progress of their work.

Maybe we all should, including myself start posting stuff to drown any thing advanced boy puts up. You know kind of give us more things to discuss, more important relevant topics. Just a thought...Dont kick me off the forum mr administrator.

Too bad, advanceboy is one of our most regular, dedicated members! In terms of number of threads created and posts, he alone probably keeps the traffic up and going on this site, ha.

Well, in school I didn`t have 20 teachers in one subject, who would try to tell me how wrong I am, at least i wouldn`t have 20 teachers in one subject. My art school teachers were parallelly also drawing and painting, and we could admire their skills, and they would actually show us how to do stuff, . I was wondering if this forum has been for long around, where are those great designers, that would be posting here nice transportation designs? if they are following and so much improving where is the result? And I am not talking about shadows or textures, but solid designs. What I believe, is one must be into cars, to design them. i don`t want to generate any useless traffic, so I might consider leaving this site, as I am completely a zero in design as compared to most of you here. As I also have made no progress, and have no sense in designing anything at least comparatively to other members, probably I would be of no use in design world at all.

Guest Gringoire

This is not solid design, this is the section named "Sketches & Renderings". Unless you start sketching nothing from what you hope will happen. What don't you understand? This is step nr.1. If you don't like it, you're wasting both you and the members from this forum's time so leaving would be a wise decision.

Guest Taro

no one is really putting you down, or insulting you.. so.. calm down.

no one here is designing good cars? fine. Then go to other forums, core77, idsketching, etc etc and observe what they are doing. Then come back here and show what you have learned. This is not the only place where you could learn and get resources, but we do have people often giving useful advices, just listen.

and since you never really direction reply to my comments anyways, this might as well be the last one.

Over the past months, I've seen many attempts from you to start a project, but getting rejected by all the crits. I've also seen you start on a project, and just left it sitting there. Using lame excuses like, it will take a long time to model, or to sketch, etc etc, to hold it off. You really don't have that much time to 'slowly' develop a project, take a step forward and complete a project from start to finish.

You have 0 project in your portfolio, and you are looking for professional crits? what are they suppose to crit on?

I was wondering if this forum has been for long around, where are those great designers, that would be posting here nice transportation designs? if they are following and so much improving where is the result? And I am not talking about shadows or textures, but solid designs. What I believe, is one must be into cars, to design them.

This is Product design forums, not car design forums. Anyone on here who is designing cars is designing them because they "Are into" cars. I designed cars because I liked them, and because it keeps my sketching skills up, not because I wanted to be a transportation designer.

Car design is a smaller field then the being a professional basketball player. This means that of those percentage of designers who are in the auto field, the percentage of them on forums is near zero. The real world is extremely demanding and most people simply don't have time for forums, or spend time on other sites (like cardesignnews, Core77, etc).

Of those designers - NONE of them can post their work. It's illegal and will get you fired. It's the same reason the only work that I have ever posted is production work that is out on the market for public disclosure. This is why any work you see on here will be freelance work or amateur work. If you want to have professional car designers comment on your work, you have to go to college for it like everyone else.

And you keep talking about how it's the quality of the design, not the quality of the drawing.

Guess what - you can take the most beautiful design on earth (and this is a challenge) draw it poorly, and then pass it around. I can guarantee you people will be completely turned off by it if it's drawn completely incorrectly.

The difference between ART and DESIGN is communication. Art just IS. You like it - take it or leave it.

Design is the communication of function in a beautiful and elegant way. The way designers "speak" design in it's simplest form is sketching, and it's that simple. It's the reason I spent my entire afternoon drawing - because we have to solve a problem, and the way you communicate that is through drawing.

No one said your drawings have to be perfect, the problem is what you are doing is not DRAWING. It's some form of odd physical + digital manipulation that no one understands because you're speaking a different visual language. The fact that everyone tells you to go back to sketching isn't because we're criticizing your ability to draw a box, it's because the way you communicate your designs is overworked and ineffective. You spend all kinds of time drawing in astrological reflections in your windows, without showing the process of how you even got to your original form.

There are a lot of members who start off like this, and those that actually listened, put down the mouse and picked up a pen and some markers, and focused on honing their communication and understanding of form before diving so deep are the ones who made excellent progress. Until you accept that fact which you continue to deny you're going to keep winding up in this situation.

I may be a jerk - but if you actually started doing what people told you when they told you (honing your ability to draw and accurately communicate form in 3D) you would have been SO far ahead of where you are right now.

Guest lokilabs

Speaking of good design Cyber how are the arms working out for you? Ha ha ha..Sorry had to throw that one in there.

Your absolutely correct in saying that this isnt merely a car design forum and how rare it is to find professionals with enough time on their hands to critiq other peoples work. More and more posters on this forum should take recomendations with a grain of salt especially when we are trying to educate.

Everyone has a different level of ability and there are arguably many different ways in which a form is brought into reality but there are fundementals that we all too often take for granted in learning institutions.

A holistic approach to design is whats needed here....sure you can argue that many people create forms and shape based on spur of the moment passion without doing iteration after iteration but those individuals are few and far between. Very rarely can you find self centered design on the market. Most products are created by a team of professionals with varied skill sets.

The fundementals as we have all stated before are communication through sketching, 3d form development, and I dont just mean CAD, an understanding of materials and manufacturing, and excellent problem solving.

As an Industrial Designer I feel what I do is about making the world a better place. Its not about banging out tons of crap that gets put into a landfill. Its not about just making something look good. Whats interesting is that Advancedboy...and yes im about to say something nice here..., has tons of passion and drive which I admire. Believe it or not thats also another requirement in the fundementals category for without it everthing would end up looking the same. He just has to learn how to channel that drive into something that could be part of a well oiled team.

No one person can do it all.

The arms are sweet - I still owe you some images but they're working out good. Think we're planning on ordering one for everyone. I'm so happy I can rotate my Cintiq again! :D

Guest lokilabs
The arms are sweet - I still owe you some images but they're working out good. Think we're planning on ordering one for everyone. I'm so happy I can rotate my Cintiq again! :D

Ha Ha Ha....Did you see the video? Careful it may jump off your desk! Talk about limitations on design and compromise...thats one for the record books. Every design involves some form of compromise like you said yourself when it came to fighting for just 2mm.

Acting professionals understand design compromise and are willing to put up a fight based on true knowledge and experience. Learning tool for Advancedboy there! :thumbsup:

I had some time off yesterday, so I designed a helicopter for Sikorsky. I t has a turbofan rear propeller, stabilizer. I stiil have to work on Mustang though.

post-28725-1269694322.jpg

The helicopter is actually rather nice - the detailed reflections rendering style actually works fairly well here and you haven't gone completely overboard with the form. If you can apply the same level of restraint to your cars you'd be on to something.

I like that I have improved somewhat, yet I feel unconfortable about my designs, i want to fine tune further the chopper. i sense i have a problem also in colouring , probably the way colour breaks at surfaces, I guess blades look also too weak, rear wings tips should be slightly increased I guess. I will try to improve this one . If only I could use stylus pen with touch sensitivity...;)

Arguably the blades are spinning anyways - I wouldn't spend that much time worrying about the blades. Unless you're having any Aero engineers over for dinner I don't think anyone will notice.