Product Design Forums

Treasurebox
Sign in to follow this  
advancedboy

Next Generation Ford Mustang

I have started slowly to work on nex gen stang. As it will take some time, it will be released in may probably. I plan to shoot it on HD and post on youtube. I would also like to add to it some CGI stuff and to make it as an add, but as I am a zero at computer graphics I will look for some help.

The Dorian Gray is a much bigger model, and will require a lot more clay. The problem is I can`t buy modelling clay in my country. I wanted to make it myself, but couldn`t get some components as well, so instead I use my old stock of industrial plastilline, which is only enough for smaller models. I wanted to make for the Mustang concept new type of lights. You porbably know the lightbulbs that are filled with mixture of gas and there are lightnings going on inside, they are usually sold in some souvenir shops and they are on a stand.How about having taillights filled with that gas, and whenever you push brakes, the lightning disharges simply jot around withind the taillight assembly?

Guest PEDROBRAS

could you show us the whole car? not just half of the side view...

thanks !

Why are you not showing the back quarter panel?

That indented chamfer on the bottom side of the door is not only probably impossible to make, (the pinch point on the front quarter where those 3 facets intersect) but is rather crude.

Your door handle completely fights the shape of the shut line and creates that pinch point right above the bottom of the handle.

The front gap line between the bumper and the quarter panel goes from straight to round to straight...theres no harmony with any of those elements.

I can't really tell what the front looks like, but the profile of the grille makes it look like a mashup between an Aston Martin and a GT-R...not a Mustang.

Guest under-dog

So what are we actually looking at here?

A photo of a sculpted model that you are running through iterations in sketchbook pro?

What is going on with the background?

Is it sitting on a table or a dock of some sort?

If so why?

I think one of your fundamental issues is that you still are and always have gotten way to bogged down with all these insanely surrealistic, complex and bizzar backgounds and attempted rendering affects rather than focus on the design itself. Plus often times the backgrounds just dont fit.

I would imagine it must be hugely time consuming to do such things. I know it would be for myself.

why arent you focusing on fast concept sketching to work through the deign elements before you commit to a heavy render or a hand made model? Even detailed ones...

Once again you are trying to run before you walk whether on a personal skill developement level or on the developement of a specific design.

I really am not trying to bash you here but time and time again you look for advice and comments and you always ignore them.

As an example you are right now focusing on a soundtrack, for a commecial, for a car that you have not even designed yet let alone something that will ever be manufactured or sold.

Nonetheless I always find your threads intersting if not amusing and would greatly miss them from this site. Keep on trucking!

At first I am building the bulk of the model from industrial plastiline, then I photograph it from various points and edit and add elements in sketchpro, until I am satisfied with the shape. Once I have decided what elements and where I want, I apply fiber putty, then a fine putty, then I remove the plastiline from inside and strengthen the body with fiber fabric .If I applied elements without drawing them, it would be harder to remove or change the shape if I change my mind. The rear and front is not finalised yet, that is why you can`t see it yet. besides the rear slope is dependent on front slope of the windshield, that`s why at first I fine tune the front, and later the rear. using sketchpro directly on a photograph allows me precisely shape the elements and leaves the wheelbase and height unchanged.About the background, it is just a Tv behind it, as I didn`t want you to be distracted by the background of my room. Maybe I am too obsesed with unnecessary details like music, and such, but I want to create a good presentation for this car, so I think about everything,even I guess I will create a new logo for Gt for Mustang, and try to later depict lightning discharge taillights. Sometimes I close my eyes and I even see how those Mustang horses run along the car and tailspin along:))) So far I am not satisfied completely with it, I guess the front needs some tension relief. and some curves need fine tuning. here are the main principles that I apply - continuity, paralelness, and symmetry to an imagined center axis. I also try to observe moderation of curvature, as not to become too abrupt and wavy.Maybe this depiction looks messy, but here you can see, how I apply those things. I might be wrong... but this is what I believe:)))))))

post-28725-1267561991.jpg

Your own drawing should show you how messy and busy your design really is.

Why not start off with two or three "lines" and go from there. Your mental approach leads to an orthographic, chaotic design. Because you're thinking about so many details without really understanding the surfacing the base of the car winds up just very rectilinear and flat.

post-3706-1267567237.jpg

Lets use this as an example of what I would call "Good design".

This works well as there are very few details to spoil the pure form.

Notice things like how on the front quarter panel there is a crisp reflection that creates a distinct highlight? Thats just beautiful surfacing, without the need to create a physical line, part break, etc.

The way the crease on the side cuts through the fenders and then emerges back out again to form the rear tail lights.

It's a perfect example of brilliant design. You could just as easily add all of the details (door handle, turn markers, license plate cutout) and it would STILL be that good because the base form is that good.

Your approach seems to be the opposite, making the form follow isolated details and NOT the details following the form of the car...but we've been over this before so I don't know why I bother.

Guest PEDROBRAS

Hey Cyberdemon,

ma che bella macchina!!!!!

Whats the name of this Alfa?

Hey Cyberdemon,

ma che bella macchina!!!!!

Whats the name of this Alfa?

It's the 2uettottanta concept, more pictures on Autoblog.

http://www.autoblog.com/2010/03/02/geneva-...by-pininfarina/

...and on second thought, maybe anyone CAN design a car.

http://www.autoblog.com/gallery/geneva-201...arro-autobau/#2

Guest Karl Baxter

Wow, that Alfa is awesome. That Sbarro is something else - lawnmower?

Guest PEDROBRAS

:shocking: :shocking: :shocking: WOW...WHAT A CONTRAST...HAHAHAHAHA...

Guest montecarlos

That second one u posted is one of the worst car designs I have ever seen, that Alfa is lovely though, although the front is a little questionnable, the side view is beautiful.