Product Design Forums

Treasurebox
Sign in to follow this  
Guest mappdaniel

How Could I Get These Effects In Alias Or Solidworks

Guest mappdaniel

i would like to try and get screenshots directly showing curvature and plain shading to use in my presentations but dont know how to get it.

example 1

I mean something like that board on the link, no colour just plain with faint curvature lines.

And secondly how can i get this cartoon style appearance, it looks like the outline has been done in illustrator, other than that i dont know.

example 2

Im using mostly solidwork but have access to alias if i need to export files to get the effect.

If someone could help me out id be very grateful.

It looks like they're using Rhino - which is easier because Rhino has pretty robust 2D illustration tools.

Do you need it to be high res? Or is screen resolution (like the one shown on coroflot) acceptable?

In Alias you can do a screen grab with a gray material and a simple environment. Crank up your anti-aliasing and you'll get a pretty similar result (this reflection map has too many lines but it gives you the jist)

You can also export illustrator linework from Alias by doing a plot - but the issue here is that the hidden line settings are less then stellar. You might be able to do it with some manual cleanup but it depends on what you need as your end result.

post-3706-1266848640.jpg

Not sure what features SW has in this regard.

Guest mappdaniel

They dont have to be high res, screen gras are fine, my problem is that i know little about alias, any models i do would be built in Solidworks then exported to alias if need be so im not sure if i still retain all the curvature lines when importing an iges.

Thanks for your help though

Those aren't Curvature lines as much as they are just the surface breaks/isoparms - so yes, they'll come in from Solidworks in an STEP or IGES.

You can adjust how many are visible by turning Isoparms on or off on the control panel (on the right side) or increase how dense they are by selecting the surfaces and goign to Object Edit->Patch precision (this will create virtual isolines where there are none so you can be selective if you want some surfaces clean and others more complex).

Then change the object colors in your preferences (white background, black or whatever color model) and adjust your line quality via object display->draw style.

Then turn on Anti Aliasing, take a print screen and viola.

Guest Ken Maren

Look up face curves. You may need to change the line weight of that. But it should get what you want, as for the cartoonish look. That could be tough.

Guest Evangelist

I really should make a YouTube Video of this....

Hi Quality screenshots are supported in Alias. File>Export>Current Window allows you to export a screen grab at an extreme resolution in TIFF with ALPHA Channel. this lets you drop your model on any back ground. i have done images upto 10k x 10k.

Hardware Shade

-Use Environment for HDR lighting

-Use Background allows you to set the background to any color without messing with user colors.

-Ground Plane settings turn on reflections and shadows.

-Environment settings is a shortcut for adjusting the above options.

Anti-Aliasing

-Use both Wireframe and shade AA.

Transparency(Control panel is easiest)

-this allows you to adjust the transparency of curves, surfaces, meshes, or whatever you would like.

Isoparms toggle (Control panel or objectDisplay>Controls)

General Prefernces > model windows

-background Gradients can be set.

post-29577-1266943265.png

Cartoon look can easily be achieved with a exported tiff with Alpha channel. use Photoshop layer effects > Stroke.

post-29577-1266943365.png