Product Design Forums
Sign in to follow this  
Guest rich_hobo

Help Identifying A Type Of Leather/material Stitching...

Guest rich_hobo

Hi guys I'm about to start manufacturing a "photo display unit" as a mandatory Design & Technology project at school and I've run into a slight obstacle... My design incorporates a wooden frame which will be wrapped in canvas. The canvas will have a line of stitching going from the top to the bottom purely for aesthetic reasons. The type of stitching I'm set on is one that I've noticed is gaining popularity in the automotive industry for leather seats, as pictured below.

contrast_stitching.png

If you can't see the image, it looks something like this:

_ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _

If someone could identify what type of stitching pattern this is (the name of it) and guide me to methods of making this stitch, that would be absolutely fantastic. It would also be great to know if this can be done on canvas.

THANKS IN ADVANCE!

It should just be two parallel running stitches.

The line in the middle is not part of the stitch, it's simply the gap between the two pieces of material. Theres a bunch of stitching sites online, or just call up a nearby auto-upholstery shop and ask for help.

Guest Karl Baxter

What Cyberdemon said. Back when I was in Uni I did a chair project that had fairly unusual leather upholstery and the only person who could do it was an automotive upholsterer. They are really good at what they do so it would be a good time for you to get to know one anyway.

Guest Camerlengo

It's a very simple stitch to make:

1. you align the edges of the 2 sheets with the outer surfaces facing each other;

2. you stitch about 0.5-1cm off the edge.

sheet 1 stitch here v

___________________________________.____

___________________________________:____

sheet 2

3. you open the sheets and you hammer the flaps flat in a U shape using contact adhesive

hammer here v v

____________________⊃.⊂___________________

4. you stitch a line on either side of the main seam for decoration

__________________.__⊃.⊂__._________________

(sorry for the diagrams!!)

Hi guys I'm about to start manufacturing a "photo display unit" as a mandatory Design & Technology project at school and I've run into a slight obstacle... My design incorporates a wooden frame which will be wrapped in canvas. The canvas will have a line of stitching going from the top to the bottom purely for aesthetic reasons. The type of stitching I'm set on is one that I've noticed is gaining popularity in the automotive industry for leather seats, as pictured below.

contrast_stitching.png

If you can't see the image, it looks something like this:

If someone could identify what type of stitching pattern this is (the name of it) and guide me to methods of making this stitch, that would be absolutely fantastic. It would also be great to know if this can be done on canvas.

THANKS IN ADVANCE!