Product Design Forums

Treasurebox
Sign in to follow this  
Guest slippy

Final Year Project

Guest slippy

Hi, if you are or have been a university student doing product design, whats the best way to come up with an idea for the final year project? I have had a few ideas but none i can really see taking forward to be worthy of a final year project.

Please help !!

Hi, if you are or have been a university student doing product design, whats the best way to come up with an idea for the final year project? I have had a few ideas but none i can really see taking forward to be worthy of a final year project.

Please help !!

Identify a problem.

Identify a new technology that can be applied in a novel way to a targeted user market.

People generally won't tell you what their problems are. Spend some time just watching people, whether it's in a mall, at your grandma's house, at a local fire department - pick something that you have local access to. The best projects are ones which are properly driven by user research and needs finding.

Guest indy2878

Please help !!

There's an INFINITE amount of ideas all around you! The problem is choosing ONE idea and working on it! :-)

Case example and I hope this is not a copyright infringement, etc.... take this one company's contest and make your own stuff from it. Imagine using a different object say a Ferrari Testarossa? What can you do with that to make something new out of something "old"? :-)

http://www.worldcarfans.com/10804211500/ci...ced/lowphotos#5

My advice:

"Chop an idea up like vegetables, roll an idea up like bread dough, devour an idea up like there's no tomorrow..."

Oh yeah - my personal comment is stay away from anything transportation related unless your degree is in transportation or you're begging to break into that field.

It really helps if it's something you're passionate about, too. If you don't love your thesis, you're going to hate your life when you're spending 26 hour days working on it.

And largely I agree with Cyberdemon - your project will be much more compelling if you're dealing with a market pull. There are a lot of amazing technologies waiting for the perfect problem. Better off identifying the problem and finding the appropriate technology.

It helps if you're passionate, but sometimes that gets in the way of creating a truly valuable thesis. My thesis was super market self-checkouts. I was not passionate about it at all but it had a huge number of challenges and the ultimate result wound up being an excellent way of showing off my research, UI, and 3D skills which ended up landing me a job.

In the real design world, you will spend far more of your time working on something you don't love than you will doing something you're passionate about. If it were the case, we would all be sports car designers.

Your thesis is all about showing the very best of your entire skill set, so if you can't use all of those skills to come up with a grounded solution to a REAL problem, it will wind up being weak. In an ultra-competitive field you really can't afford that.

Guest tails

My advice would be you don't have to be super original, the chair was invented long ago but it does not mean you can't make a great chair.

My advice would be you don't have to be super original, the chair was invented long ago but it does not mean you can't make a great chair.

Chairs are a typical second year design project for a reason. You can design a great chair, but that only uses a fraction of your "design senses".

In today's market a highly qualified designer needs to have sensitivities towards research, market needs and trends, an appreciation and application for human factors, materials and manufacturing, and roll all of those skills into a brilliantly sketched/rendered/modelled design soultion.

That is what makes a great thesis, and a great thesis is what will help land you a job.

At the end of the day chances are any chair you've done will have been more about one or two of those issues, but not all of them.

Guest yuki

How 'bout bicycle design or elderly lifestyle products? =)

Like what they say, dont go in automotive design, I personally think it's too big for a final year project.

There's car interior design, exterior design, engineering factors, mechanical, electrical and electronic components to research, ergonomics, seating position, engine combustion, destructive test, safety test e.t.c. just a few to name.

Guest nicanor

-something you're passionate about so you'll put more effort into it

-put strict limits on criteria (has to be this price point, sustainable materials, for this age bracket, etc) if you're having problems narrowing down specific paths

-don't make it do everything...aka everythingitis (flip this way it does this, rotate this way it does this, etc). Common problem with many people, make it do one (maybe two) things great instead of a dozen things not-so-great