Product Design Forums

Treasurebox
Sign in to follow this  
Guest ajfdc

Porfolio Advise

Guest ajfdc

Hey I have recently created a coroflot and I am pretty unhappy with it, most of the stuff on there looks pretty pore. Any feedback on what I should change and keep would be great, I have noticed many people do not post sketching, Do people feel it is unneccessary or should I keep it in??????

heres a link, Any help would be greatr. I have only just recently posted it and havn't really done much to it. I need to add more project work obviously.

www.coroflot.com/antoniodacosta

I am also very fustrated with my presentation boards on the site, I feel they are tacky and unprofessional. The fact that I havnt used CAD models for that plays a big part, but any feeedback would be amazing and help loads, especially as im in porocess of hopefully applying for placements. Thanks.

I would say that at this point in time you really need to focus on quality over quantity. If your not happy with some of your work then don't post it, as only your best work should be displayed. You mentioned that you are only in second year so I won't be too harsh on your skills because you still have a lot to learn, but here are some pieces of advice

often with presentation boards less is more . . . the main focus of any presentation board is the product itself, make it large and only use minimal text (typically a sentence or two max). Don't feel like you have to fill up the whole page either, don't be afraid to leave some white space.

Understand the importance of contrast . . . you will typically have one or two views of your design that you would like to draw attention to, so make these the most prominent. In other words, don't let your background overpower your main images.

On your "the problem" page for your future transport concept forget the all the text and arrows pointing all over the place, its just looks cluttered and no one is really going to read it. A collage of images is much more effective in communicating a problem. Show images of traffic congestion, crowded spaces, frustrated riders, ect. Once again don't be afraid to leave white space.

As for your sketches the same thing applies. Make sure to use contrast effectively to draw attention to particular images or details. You want something that will catch someones eye and draw them in.

Ideally, if your going to show sketch compositions they should show a bit of progression and the thought process you went through as you developed a design. This can be illustrated on a presentation board by having your earlier revisions displayed smaller and less prominent, and progressively getting larger leading up to your final designing increasing the contrast of each as they progress. That's not to say you have to draw them in this manner, it just means that when you put your presentation board together you should play with the contrast or opacity levels in photoshop and scale them accordingly.

I would agree that having nicely rendered CAD models will add to your portfolio as it illustrates that this is one of your skill sets, however do not put CAD models there simply for the purpose of having them. These should look like you have at least put some thought into them.

Lastly, you need to remember that design is in the details. A well thought out design will speak for itself. If you have to use 5 paragraphs to tell the story of your design then you have not illustrated it enough with proper visuals.

hope this helps

good luck

Guest Karl Baxter

i would agree with above, maybe also get rid of a fair lot of the stuff - if there are some of the sketches that particularly interest you take only those a bit further and produce marker renderings, and a cad rendering. Some completed projects add a fair bit.